cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SamKnows - slow speed to Hub Virgin deny issue

philr123
On our wavelength
  • Hi everyone I have reached a ridiculous impasse with Virgin and would highly appreciate any hints or tips to get this resolved

I have the 1 gig service and after a few testing issues - namely the cable to my home being replaced I was receiving full speed to my Hub as seen on the SamKnows test

Speed has now plummeted on any internet speed test you can mention and the SamKnows test shows this is due to the speed to my hub - so an external issue

I have been through all the Standard methods with Virgin - resetting hubs etc and no luck eg if just the pc connected on Ethernet still no speed so they are satisfied that this isn’t an internal issue

However, Virgin despite the SamKnows results are insisting there isn’t an issue theri end and are refusing to send an engineer. 

I got told some nonsense that Ofcom can determine the correct speed and when I said that must come from your network so why not share that now - got told they have their own equipment and nothing to do with Virgin!

Any idea on how to unlock this issue I even offered to pay for an engineer on the basis that if there was a fault it would be repaid but was refused!

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You have indeed been told a load of old crap, but that's unsurprising given the poor standard of VM's offshore customer service.  Some people misguidedly think offshoring is about saving money, and although that's always what goes into the fictitious business case used to justify an offshoring proposal, they're actually wrong - a company offshores a function only when it simply can't be bothered to do a job itself, and it doesn't care what sort of standard the service is then provided to.   You could complain to Ofcom that VM are telling you that Ofcom are monitoring your speeds (they certainly aren't), which is worth doing although Ofcom won't get directly involved in the detail of your case.

There are formal complaint and escalation routes available if this doesn't get resolved - forum staff are your best hope now, usually they'll get things fixed, although bear in mind that VM's minimum speed guarantee is very poor.  What are the LOWEST speeds Samknowns are showing coming into the hub?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

who have you actually spoken to - i would guess offshore who are clueless - that apart lets start with some info

log into hub3/4 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

forgetting the samknows test for a minute how are you testing the speed - only test wired and try a test with the hum in modem mode connected to a laptop or pc in safe mode with networking - that takes pretty much all the variables out of the test

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You have indeed been told a load of old crap, but that's unsurprising given the poor standard of VM's offshore customer service.  Some people misguidedly think offshoring is about saving money, and although that's always what goes into the fictitious business case used to justify an offshoring proposal, they're actually wrong - a company offshores a function only when it simply can't be bothered to do a job itself, and it doesn't care what sort of standard the service is then provided to.   You could complain to Ofcom that VM are telling you that Ofcom are monitoring your speeds (they certainly aren't), which is worth doing although Ofcom won't get directly involved in the detail of your case.

There are formal complaint and escalation routes available if this doesn't get resolved - forum staff are your best hope now, usually they'll get things fixed, although bear in mind that VM's minimum speed guarantee is very poor.  What are the LOWEST speeds Samknowns are showing coming into the hub?

Absolutely this - I worked in financial services and was part of an exploratory group tasked with setting up an off-shore contact centre..

After a lot of research and testing - it soon became apparent that the off-shore agents didn't see the job as anything other than 'acting' and 'improving my English' - They were basically drones that could / would not go outside of their script (programming).

We soon brought it all back in-house as the extra workload they caused was phenomenal.

If you care about Customer Service - you don't have an off-shore contact centre!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

philr123
On our wavelength

Had some success spoke today with someone competent he managed to get the speed up from 12 to 250mbps but no higher (when previously got the full 1000) so agreed I needed an engineer so one coming Saturday morning. 

Will keen you posted l!!

Phil

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @philr123

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Please do keep us updated with how you get on, my apologies for the previous inconvenience.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@philr123 wrote:

Had some success spoke today with someone competent he managed to get the speed up from 12 to 250mbps but no higher (when previously got the full 1000) so agreed I needed an engineer so one coming Saturday morning. 

Will keen you posted l!!

Phil

what magic did he perform - a reboot - a reset or if wifi splitting or joining the bands - other than that there is nothing they can do other than con you into thinking they have done something

Tony.
Sacked VIP

philr123
On our wavelength

I have a mesh network the engineer before advised to keep hub in router mode and then turn off the WiFi and that has worked fine for several months rather than use modem mode

He moved it back to modem mode and speed went up - it then went back to trend following the call so may of been a small reinitialisation benefit. 

I assume the MESH network is in Access Point Mode as opposed to full router mode!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

No idea will check!