cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSH on LOCAL network not working

klangfeld
Tuning in

Hi Community, 

I have to computers connected via WIFI to my HUB 4 with IPs 192.168.0.44 and 192.168.0.210. I want to login (or file transfer) into one machine from the other: 

e.g. on 192.168.0.44: ssh 192.168.0.210

Occasionally, this worked, but lately the connection always times out. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! 

11 REPLIES 11

@klangfeld wrote:

Thanks again. 

I still had a wifi extender, and connected this to the Hub 4 via wifi, and configured the extender as different access points. Once I connect both machines to the extender, I can ssh between the computers. 

Indeed, it seems that the Hub suppresses communications between the connected devices (which is sort of unacceptable; I also have a wifi connected printer). 

Is this considered a feature or a bug? 

Thanks, Legacy1, for your comment. I tend to agree that this is a bug. 

What is the best option? 

1. would a nerve racking factory rest fix the issue (bug?) ? 

2. contact virgin for help to reconfigure the Hub

3. buy a mesh with about 4 LAN ports (for the Virgin phone and TV) and have the Hub in modem mode

Thanks again.

I'd say that's a bug.

Forget option 2.  Try option 1.  Option 3 is your best bet going forward.

Why do you need a port for the Virgin phone?  I'm not sure what sort of phone it is - are you referring to the landline that's delivered using VoIP to the telephony port on the hub?  PSTN/POTS handsets plugged into it.  That port stays active and continues to work with the hub in modem mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks for your advice. 

Indeed the phone does not connect to a LAN port. The Virgin TV box does. I am not sure how much the TV box needs the internet for showing channels. I would assume that connecting the TV Ethernet cable to a LAN port of an external router (connected to the HUB4 in modem mode) would work. 
Option 3 grows on me since I need extending the wifi as well.