cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSH Blocked from home network

steadyonabix
Joining in

Trying to access Github from my home network is proving impossible over SSH. If I bring my work mac home that also can't login, but can from work.

I've tried turning off the firewall on the router to test if that is the problem but it makes no difference.

This is as far as it gets:

ssh -vT git@github.com
OpenSSH_7.9p1, LibreSSL 2.7.3
debug1: Reading configuration data /Users/atkinsb/.ssh/config
debug1: /Users/atkinsb/.ssh/config line 1: Applying options for github.com
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 48: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to github.com port 22.

I've checked my ssh keys are still valid, even though this must be a network issue somewhere between me and GitHub...

I can SSH into a public ssh server like ssh://new@sdf.org but for GitHub, nothing.

I can ping it ok, so not a DNS issue:

ping github.com
PING github.com (81.99.162.48): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 81.99.162.48: icmp_seq=0 ttl=248 time=18.702 ms
64 bytes from 81.99.162.48: icmp_seq=1 ttl=248 time=23.377 ms

Some articles I've read online suggest these settings:

cat ~/.ssh/config

Host github.com
User git
Port 22
Hostname github.com
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/gitnew_rsa
TCPKeepAlive yes
IdentitiesOnly yes

I've tried traceroute but don't see much going on:

traceroute github.com

traceroute to github.com (81.99.162.48), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
 1  192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)  3.243 ms  4.151 ms  4.026 ms
 2  * * *
 3  80.1.240.125 (80.1.240.125)  21.029 ms  13.918 ms  15.074 ms
 4  * * *
 5  * * lang-dclcore-1b-port-channel1.network.virginmedia.net (62.254.85.6)  171.484 ms
 6  * * *

Telnet just hangs as well:

telnet github.com 22
Trying 81.99.162.48...

I've no idea what is going on, anyone have any ideas?

Brad

5 REPLIES 5

Kippies
Alessandro Volta

try putting you HUB into modem mode, test.

dchambers
Just joined

It's because you have Parental Controls enabled. 81.99.162.48 is not the IP address of github.com, but some Virgin Media IP address.

You can fix by disabling Parental Controls completely, or by adding `github.com` to the list of allowed (overridden) web sites.

nigelw2
Just joined

It was Virgin Media's child-safety settings that blocked this for me too.  It seems a bizzare thing for Virgin Media to block and this caused a substantial amount of effort for me and my employer's IT department until the cause was found.  Thanks, dchambers, for letting us know that github.com can be explicitly allowed.  That is much relieve as we were quite concerned that we would have to turn off child -safety and not be able to protect our children.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

It isn't the SSH that is being blocked it will be the actual website itself, VM are supplying a parental control, the reason github is being blocked is that on github you can find hacking software for changing DNS etc, you can also report if you believe childsafe is wrong at https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/websafe/feedback this will allow virginmedia to investigate, if it should be allowed or not.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If you change your DNS you'll find it does actually fix your issue but you may find it bypasses some of Virgin media's services such as parental control