cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIP ALG

richard_s1
Tuning in

Are VM able to turn SIP ALG off from their end on hub 3. I paid for a VOIP line and cant use it?

Thanks

Richard

85 REPLIES 85

Looks like I am buying a router and hope the VM box behaves people have problems with them resetting or locking up that's my worries.

@richard_s1 wrote:
Looks like I am buying a router and hope the VM box behaves people have problems with them resetting or locking up that's my worries.

I've not seen nor heard of that, but OK

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

or..you could cancel and move to an ISP that will give you a router with all the functions you need.
it sounds like you'll never be happy anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

My belief is that the hubs provided by BT and Sky do not allow SIP ALG to be disabled and the hubs don't have the equivalent of modem mode either. VM is much maligned and, to be fair, some of it is justified, but people should be aware that there are advantages to the VM setup.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

My belief is that the hubs provided by BT and Sky do not allow SIP ALG to be disabled and the hubs don't have the equivalent of modem mode either. VM is much maligned and, to be fair, some of it is justified, but people should be aware that there are advantages to the VM setup.

to be fair though, openreach based ISPs don't need the equivalent of "modem mode", as you can use pretty much any router or modem without having to use the ISP supplied router in "modem mode".

An update to my SIP ALG problems I am now in contact with Arris the manufacture of the hub3 they look like the SIP ALG can be turned off.  If not there is a fix but it needs a hard wired connection to the chip to fix it. Awaiting reply for this as a few of my friends are stuck with this problem! Once a fix is found I will publish online as I do not want to have to pay for a router to solve this.

Anonymous
Not applicable
you can't modify the firmware.
VM use there own firmware, not he devices so Arris will not be able to help

Yeah there’s little point contacting Arris. By modifying the firmware you’ll open yourself up to who knows what...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

So you will be spending countless hours trying to figure out how to modify the firmware at low level, which may or may not work, then you will be spending money on specialized cabling for the direct chip connection, then you will be breaking all terms and conditions (and warranties) by opening the hub and tampering with the insides... And then most probably you will end up with a brick, as the firmware that Virgin uses is custom and once modified you will change all hash keys/ encryption algos, which will stop it connecting to the internet...

The alternative - spend a hundred or so pounds for a decent router, 10 minutes to set the hub in modem mode and reconfigure your network... plus the benefits of getting a decent routing features and a decent wifi service (the wifi on the hub is sh*te anyway, why would you want to keep it is beyond me).

Do the math man, come to your senses...

sometimes some folk as just beyond common sense.
they see a spot and will keep picking at it until it explodes.