cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIP ALG

richard_s1
Tuning in

Are VM able to turn SIP ALG off from their end on hub 3. I paid for a VOIP line and cant use it?

Thanks

Richard

85 REPLIES 85

@richard_s1 wrote:
legacy1 do a google search!

Prove its on then by getting your own router with the hub in modem mode and SIP off.

---------------------------------------------------------------

From what I can gather VM should provide at least 2 types of router for situations like this but OFFCOM do not enforce it. Nearly all the ISP's provide a router that enables the customer to turn on/off SIP ALG. Blocking SIP is a way VM can control who you choose to use for your VOIP provider i.e. them only.

they are not forcing you to do anything.
put the hub into modem mode and you can then use whatever router you want.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

@richard_s1 wrote:
From what I can gather VM should provide at least 2 types of router for situations like this but OFFCOM do not enforce it. Nearly all the ISP's provide a router that enables the customer to turn on/off SIP ALG. Blocking SIP is a way VM can control who you choose to use for your VOIP provider i.e. them only.

That's why you have Modem Mode.

And why should Virgin provide 2 routers?

Technically they do as the ones on the residential and business packages are different bits of kit.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

At my expense. But that route looking more likely.

yes at your expense. case closed.

gary_dexter I did not mean supply 2 routers to me but give customers a choice of router that would be best for the customer. One that could turn SIP ALG off.

Yes, at your expense - to provide you with a service outside "the norm" for most residential users.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

@richard_s1 wrote:
gary_dexter I did not mean supply 2 routers to me but give customers a choice of router that would be best for the customer. One that could turn SIP ALG off.

Well, technically, they do.

Run the hub in Router Mode with the basic features required for a home internet connection, or run it in Modem Mode and add your own "feature-rich" equipment for anything extra.

@richard_s1 wrote:

every customer has unique individual needs, hence why you have modem mode so you can use whatever fits your needs.