cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SH4 fan noise

narc1999
Dialled in

My SH4 has suddenly become very noisy. Like the fan inside has started running and hasn’t switched off.  Ive only noticed this this evening and it is definitely not something it’s done before. So- is it about to die or perfectly normal? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Reboot it and give it a Hoover on the top and bottom vents.

Theres probably a dust build-up on the vents 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Reboot it and give it a Hoover on the top and bottom vents.

Theres probably a dust build-up on the vents 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I blow it out now and then with my DataVac, if you seen the stripdown (on the WWW and here somewhere) you would see how poor it cools as the fans airflow is mostly blocked by the internals.

Some have it sat it on a base with large fan like laptop coolers etc, would help to raise it up on little rubber feet.

I know it runs hot 9even at idle with my hand on top and the engineers say the same, my PC runs cooler at idle.

Thanks all. I’ll give it a Hoover out tomorrow. I’ve only had it since January so I wouldn’t have expected it to have collected much dust yet. I like to believe we’re a clean and tidy house 🙂 

jhuk
Trouble shooter

I live in older house and at front (right on a main road) it gets dusty more than rear and if you have pets even more so (I no longer do), added to human skin and the nearer to floor it is the dustier it will get esp. if hard flooring as carpets act as a filter.

Anything with a fan will get dusty.

Hello narc1999

Thanks for taking the time to raise your Super Hub 4 query in regards to fan noise, as always, lots of helpful advice on here from our excellent members.

It's been a few days since your post so we're just checking in to see if any of the advice offered and hoovering the Hub has helped reduce the fan noice?

Thanks

Rob

The ‘hoover it out’ advice was the most appropriate and seemed to work (that and switching it off and on). I wasn’t aware there was a vent on the bottom of the SH4 which, upon inspection, was it unite dusty. 

So for future reference- excessive fan noise means hoover out the top and bottom of the SH!

Thanks for getting back to us narc1999 and glad to hear the advice worked.

If you need us again in the future, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Rob