cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SH4 - 2.4GHz wifi not visible to any devices

johnnyboyc_uk
On our wavelength

Bit of a weird one this - have had the problem since I got the hub a few weeks back, but have put up with it until now; now it's irritating the beejeezus out of me.

The issue is that the 2.4GHz wireless 'doesn't work', that is, no devices that use that frequency will pick up the network.  5GHz is absolutely fine, it's just the 2.4.

I've tried a factory reset, fiddled with Wireless mode (802.11 blah blah blah), changed the channel it's using, and tinkered with the channel width.  Nothing makes any difference.

My ASUS USB adapter on my PC doesn't pick 2.4GHz up, but it'll happily show the 5GHz details, likewise with my TP-Link network extender.  To these devices, the 2.4Ghz frequency is a no-no.

Do I need a replacement hub?

24 REPLIES 24

...also, the 5GHz band is definitely 'switched on' in the router settings.

Hi johnnyboyc_uk, 

Thanks for coming back to us here with an update. 

Checking things this end we can now see that there are several devices connected to the 5GHz band on your WiFi network so it looks as though the hub reboot has done the trick. 

As the 2.4 and 5GHz bands have the same SSID, the device itself will connect to whichever is best. 

If you have any further issues, please pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi there,

In fact, all devices seem to be using the 2.4GHz band; the 5GHz band, although the router is showing it to be available, is not present when I perform a scan of available bandwidths with alternative software (Wi-Fi Scanner).

The issue is definitely still present.

Hi @johnnyboyc_uk

Thanks for coming back to the thread. 

Can the 5G be seen by the devices or not sorry?

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John.  No, the 5GHz band cannot be seen by any devices.