cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SH3 modem mode no internet to ASUS RT-AC86U

johnhuck
On our wavelength

So the history to this problem...

SH2ac in modem mode with a ASUS RT-AC68U and everything OK for a number of years.

Before Christmas connections to WiFi said no internet connection.  Everything rebooted several times.  No joy.  Revert SH to router mode. Technician booked but will be 5 days.

A couple of days later I thought I'd try again.  Everything now working again.  Technician cancelled.

Late January same thing happens again.  Switch SH back to router mode.  A few days later try switching back to modem mode.  No joy.

Call VM.  They arrrange to send SH3 but also suggest it could be my router.  I buy a ASUS RT-AC86U.

7th Feb - all kit in place.  SH3 in modem mode.  Everything working again.

19th February - No internet connection.  Straight on phone to VM. Technician booked for 20th.  Try some reboots, factory resets, etc.  No luck.

20th February (today).  Technician sorts out a few issues with the 20 year old NTL wiring/attenuator/filter inside and outside the house.  Also replaces SH3 with a brand new SH3 as he said the one I'd been sent was reconditioned.  I login to SH3 and switch to modem mode using web app.  Doesn't seem to work properly.  Tech does a factory reset and swithces to modem mode using his kit.

Tech connects his device directly to SH3 in modem mode and shows me he's connected to the internet.

Reconnect the ASUS RT-AC86U.  No internet.  Reboot everything.  Still no internet.  Tech says he's done as much as he can and wouldn't advise using 3rd party router.  I suspect he was probbaly late for his next appointment as he suddenly seemed very keen to go.  It had taken over an hour to get to this point.

Switch back to router mode to keep the kids happy.

This evening I will factory reset my router, put the SH3 in modem mode and reconfigure and reboot everything.

I use the ASUS router as it reaches all parts of the house and the parental controls on the ASUS are much better.

I'm baffled as everything had been working with both configurations.  Either SH2ac/RT-AC68U and then SH3/RT-AC86U.

Anyone got any advice or experienced similar problems?

44 REPLIES 44

TBH I've not tried the Normal mode.  In fact these settings are all new to me.

The Aggressive mode is the default and that's what mine was in.  I'm no network expert and I try to avoid changing any settings if possible.

If I have the problems again I'll try the Normal mode.

I have the ASUS rt-ac86u router, downloaded latest firmware, changed the WAN DHCP query frequency to ‘continuous mode’ and still encounter the ‘Your ISP’s DHCP does not function properly. 

The Virgin Hub is in normal mode for wifi in the house and the router is used for a separate garden office via a 40m CAT6 cable.

Any suggestions to resolve this? Thanks

I suggest you first put the hub into modem mode and connect the Asus by its WAN port to the hub. Reboot the Asus to get internet and take it from there.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks, What are the next steps after this? I can temporarily do this but I need to switch the virgin hub (back from modem mode) so we have wifi in the house.

So switch the Superhub to modem mode. I rebooted again after doing this.

After upgrading to the latest firmware on the AC86U and you've done some basic setup of changing SSID, password, and query frequency I'd recommended rebooting as well. Don't spend too long changing settings in case it doesn't work. 

Once Superhub and router both on independently I'd connect them via WAN port. 

If you're logged in to the router while you do this you should see the WAN IP get assigned on the network map screen. 

Hopefully that's it. 

If not try turning the SH off overnight and repeat.

Failing that try the Normal mode. 

Im still not convinced that this isn't caused by VM environment rather than router config. 

@johnhuck wrote:

All OK now.

Apologies for blaming VM.  It was an issue with the DHCP query frequency of my ASUS router which turns out to be a known problem.  There were previously two settings Aggressive (the default) and Normal. A new setting, Continuous, was added to the firmware recently to fix this specific problem.

The internet status would show the message "ISP's DHCP does not function correctly"

DHCP.JPG

Some background here in case someone stumbles across this post

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043591/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-firmware-dhcp-continuous-mode-potential-fix-for-isps-dhcp-did...

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2719867

Strange I have a AX88U but I am running Merlin firmware and it’s been in aggressive mode and never had a issue 

No luck.

I switched SH to modem mode then rebooted it.

Rebooted ASUS RT AC68U router.

Connected cable to WAN port and same error (ISP DHCP not functioning properly).

Route has latest firmware and just did basic config to get started. Tried both Normal and Continuous modes for the DHCP query frequency.

Plan to return router unless there’s a proper fix.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

@Andrew-G wrote:

Top advice from Roger_Gooner, but to avoid confusion about this "magenta" concept, I'm looking down at my Hub 3 that is working in modem mode, and I, both cats, and all the family would swear in court that the LED is red.  On mine it only goes pinkymagentaery if you look at it absolutely straight on, and even then you need to WANT to see magenta.  Maybe that's sample variation, maybe the eye of faith, maybe we're all colour blind......

i can definitely confirm this.
my original hub3 was almost certainly red when in mode mode, after a move i got a replacement hub3 and that one is defintely magenta.

so there is a definite difference between those two hubs.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

@BobSquarePants wrote:

No luck.

Route has latest firmware and just did basic config to get started. Tried both Normal and Continuous modes for the DHCP query frequency.

Have you tried running Merlin firmware instead of the Asus version 

@BobSquarePants wrote:

No luck.

might be worth asking over on the snbforums, they have a strong asus router community.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray