cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SH3 modem mode no internet to ASUS RT-AC86U

johnhuck
On our wavelength

So the history to this problem...

SH2ac in modem mode with a ASUS RT-AC68U and everything OK for a number of years.

Before Christmas connections to WiFi said no internet connection.  Everything rebooted several times.  No joy.  Revert SH to router mode. Technician booked but will be 5 days.

A couple of days later I thought I'd try again.  Everything now working again.  Technician cancelled.

Late January same thing happens again.  Switch SH back to router mode.  A few days later try switching back to modem mode.  No joy.

Call VM.  They arrrange to send SH3 but also suggest it could be my router.  I buy a ASUS RT-AC86U.

7th Feb - all kit in place.  SH3 in modem mode.  Everything working again.

19th February - No internet connection.  Straight on phone to VM. Technician booked for 20th.  Try some reboots, factory resets, etc.  No luck.

20th February (today).  Technician sorts out a few issues with the 20 year old NTL wiring/attenuator/filter inside and outside the house.  Also replaces SH3 with a brand new SH3 as he said the one I'd been sent was reconditioned.  I login to SH3 and switch to modem mode using web app.  Doesn't seem to work properly.  Tech does a factory reset and swithces to modem mode using his kit.

Tech connects his device directly to SH3 in modem mode and shows me he's connected to the internet.

Reconnect the ASUS RT-AC86U.  No internet.  Reboot everything.  Still no internet.  Tech says he's done as much as he can and wouldn't advise using 3rd party router.  I suspect he was probbaly late for his next appointment as he suddenly seemed very keen to go.  It had taken over an hour to get to this point.

Switch back to router mode to keep the kids happy.

This evening I will factory reset my router, put the SH3 in modem mode and reconfigure and reboot everything.

I use the ASUS router as it reaches all parts of the house and the parental controls on the ASUS are much better.

I'm baffled as everything had been working with both configurations.  Either SH2ac/RT-AC68U and then SH3/RT-AC86U.

Anyone got any advice or experienced similar problems?

44 REPLIES 44

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

When the hub 3 is in modem mode the LED should turn magenta, if it doesn't there is a fault somewhere. When the LED is magenta, connect only a laptop to check that you are getting a broadband connection. If you get a connection disconnect the laptop, reconnect the ASUS by its WAN port and reboot.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Top advice from Roger_Gooner, but to avoid confusion about this "magenta" concept, I'm looking down at my Hub 3 that is working in modem mode, and I, both cats, and all the family would swear in court that the LED is red.  On mine it only goes pinkymagentaery if you look at it absolutely straight on, and even then you need to WANT to see magenta.  Maybe that's sample variation, maybe the eye of faith, maybe we're all colour blind......

Tried all that.  LED is magenta.  Technician connected directly to the internet through SH3 in modem mode.

johnhuck
On our wavelength

On the reconditioned SH3 the modem mode was a vivid LED red.

On the new SH3 the modem mode is a purple/pink (magenta if you like).

There's no mistaking that they are completely different colours but presumably indicate the same thing.

johnhuck
On our wavelength

I had run with the SH2ac/RT-AC68U for 4 years without a problem.

The SH3/RT-AC86U went about 10 days.

Without any apparent changes I've experienced a problem where both ASUS routers stop getting an internet connection.

You've checked the Asus router is in DHCP/router mode, not access point?  For both routers to "go" makes wonder if Asus have pushed a firmware update themselves?

johnhuck
On our wavelength

I updated the ac86u to the latest firmware before first use.  It worked for 10 days.  No subsequent update.

The previous ac68u had an update in November.  I can't remember if that coincided with the issue.  However, when I had the first problem with that router it sorted itself out after a few days.  Which suggests it was unrelated to firmware.

If all else fails I might rollback to firmware from September.

Alternatively I might trying running both the SH3 and the ASUS as routers with relevant chnages to DHCP.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Connect only a PC to the hub and change to modem mode and get internet working like that then connect your PC to your ASUS router and login get to wan settings and use the clone option to copy your PC MAC to your router then connect the ASUS to the hub and you should have internet.

---------------------------------------------------------------

johnhuck
On our wavelength

OK legacy1 I will put that on my list of things to try.  Though what would have caused the ASUS MAC to have become a problem?