cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SH 4 Still broadcasting a wifi signal in modem mode?

tintin_UK
Dialled in

I've set my Hub 4 into modem mode and connected it to a TP-Link router to handle the wifi. That's all working fine.

However, I note that the SSD of my hub 4 still appears in the list of nearby wifi networks. Why is this the case if it's just acting as a modem? And is there a chance it would be causing interference? Any one come across this and have a solution?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks to the engineer and advice from his colleagues, I can confirm that the hub is no longer broadcasting a signal in modem mode.

The solution was to put the SH 4 back into router mode, disable wifi, and then put it back into modem mode. By doing this, the Virgin network that was previously showing has now gone. 

(You would think enabling modem mode would automatically disable wifi but apparently not.)

One watch-out when doing this; you may want to temporarily disconnect/switch off your 3rd party wifi router from the SH4 when you put it back into router mode. Otherwise, you may end up with duplicate IPs if they both use the standard 192.168.0.1 gateway address. (I didn't, and it was a bit of faff to put everything back as it was.)

Anyway, problem solved.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

35 REPLIES 35

lotharmat
Community elder
That's a new one to me!

May be worth a factory reset to see if that clears the problem!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you actually connect to the SSID? Perhaps is cached.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

OK. Reset the hub and set it up again. Back in Modem mode but yes, it still appears on Wifi. 

I can connect to it (using the default password from the hub label) and I get the message that there's no internet connection. Seems odd that I can do this though I am concerned it's causing interference.

Would be great to hear from a Virgin technical person on this.

I have a hub 3 (modem mode) and have a 'Hidden SSID' according to my WiFi Analyser being broadcast. I wonder if all the opt-out does is change the name!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think your need a new hub. Best to wait for a VM staff member to get to your post, could take a day or two. I would normally advise phoning customer services first, but as you still have service and I believe describing your problem would be rather fraught.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@lotharmat wrote:
I have a hub 3 (modem mode) and have a 'Hidden SSID' according to my WiFi Analyser being broadcast. I wonder if all the opt-out does is change the name!

Conspiracy theory its a way for MI5 to spy on you and due to peoples speed being slow is they have to rate limit you due to the slow speed of the hubs WiFi to get all your data.😰

---------------------------------------------------------------

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @tintin_UK,

Thanks for your recent posts - I'm sorry to hear of the issue you're having with the Hub 4 when in modem mode.

This is quite unusual and I have reached out to a relevant team for some advice or further info on steps we can take next.

I'll be in touch when I hear back.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Or GCHQ!!! Oh wait... They can just slurp your data anyway.. 😉

Appreciate you reaching out. Thanks.

Neil