Menu
rjnkanwal
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

SH 2AC vs SH .03

Hi

I was having wifi issues (very week or no signal upstairs) with Super hub 2.0 AC. VM sent me Super hub 3.0. Since receiving Super hub 3.0, I read bad reviews about it and now I am not sure that I should switch to SH 3.0

I have 2 desktops, which use Ethernet cable so no problems with them. It's only mobile phones and tablets which use wifi and the issue is only upstairs. The main issue which worries me with Super hub 3.0 is the latency. My son plays online games and latency can be an issue. I know that few issues were fixed with Super hub 3.0

So now I need help to decide that should I go ahead with Super hub 3.0 or should I stick with Super hub 2 AC and put it in modem mode and get my own router to resolve wifi issue. I'll appreciate any help.

BTW how easy or difficult it is to go back to Super hub 2 ac if I activate Super hub 3.0 and experience problems.

Thanks

Raj

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: SH 2AC vs SH .03

If you activate the Hub3 the 2ac will be inactivated. VM are very reluctant to reinstate them - you will have to provide good reasons and be very persuasive - very few people have succeeded. So dont do it yet wait for more input here and think about it. I stayed with my SH2 in modem mode with my own wifi router for the same reason a couple of years ago. No reason then to swap tp to Hub3 unless you want the 350/500 service.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
rjnkanwal
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jbrennand. I know that SH 2 AC will be deactivated. Virgin already had done it once, five or six days after sending the SH 3.0  but I managed to activate SH 2 ac. 

Can you or anyone else know about the modem mode of SH 3.0?

Does SH 3.0  perform poorly in modem mode as well?

I am thinking that as I'll be getting my own router and put the Super hub in modem mode, should I have a go at SH 3.0

If SH 3.0 is not good even in modem mode then I'll keep the SH 2.0 AC

Is there anyone who has been using SH 3.0 in modem mode?

Thanks

Raj

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Been using a Hub3 in modem mode since the trials. Works extremely well, no problems whatsoever on my 500/35 service.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
rjnkanwal
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tudor.

So I will go ahead and activate SH 3.0 and if I start suffering from latency issues then I can just put it in modem mode and use my own router.

I have seen a lot of advice on routers and I am thinking to go with either Asus RT-AC57U or Asus RT-AC66U or BT whole home wifi with 2 discs. Any advice which would be better for me. I am living in a mid terrace 3 bed house, built around 1930 and I suffer from very poor wifi signal or no signal at all upstairs towards the back of the house. Virgin hub is in the living room.

Thanks

Raj

0 Kudos
F1TeamLH
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

SH3 is aweful you better off sticking to SH 2AC trust me.  Yes it works but the hassle is just not worth it unless you want a faster speed. 

My advise stick to your SH 2ac.   btw Asus RT-66  is good, I have the Asus RT-AC88U just is great with its extra ethernet ports.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

MU-MIMO would be a nice feature to have - may have to go up to the RT-AC86U for that.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/feature/network-wifi/what-is-mu-mimo-3644171/

(Is the AC88u a MU-MIMO router?)

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@rjnkanwal wrote:

Thanks Tudor.

...snip

I have seen a lot of advice on routers and I am thinking to go with either Asus RT-AC57U or Asus RT-AC66U or BT whole home wifi with 2 discs. Any advice which would be better for me. I am living in a mid terrace 3 bed house, built around 1930 and I suffer from very poor wifi signal or no signal at all upstairs towards the back of the house. Virgin hub is in the living room.

Thanks

Raj

One thing, the BT whole home wifi system is just a wifi access point mesh system, it doesn't have any of the router/firewall features so if you wanted to put the hub in modem mode you would still need to get a router as well. Personally I'd get the 66U, and try the wifi performance with just that. If needs be you can always get the BT system afterwards. If you do that, you would need to disable the wifi on the Asus, connect one of the BT discs to it via Ethernet and then put the other disc wherever you need it.

And the Hub3 is fine in modem mode. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@jem101 wrote:

And the Hub3 is fine in modem mode. 

Jem101  - does the Puma6 chipset latency issue still linger on in the Hub3 ?  Or have the recent firmware updates largely circumvented the problem ?  OP did mention they were online gamers.

--------------------
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes my bad, I didn't notice the OP mentioning games, .I can't say that I've noticed any issues at all with the Hub 3 - but I have to qualify that by saying that nobody in my house is a hardcore gamer, my daughter might play some iOS games but nothing more.

For what it's worth when I do run speed tests (and I'm really not overly obsessed by them) I'll get latencies of around 6-9 ms.

John
0 Kudos