Menu
ok1990
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

SFTP connections refused

Hi there. Starting from a couple of weeks back until a few days ago, I was able to connect - albeit very slowly - via SFTP to a DreamHost VPS I use for personal websites and so on. 

As of a few days ago, I'm not able to connect at all using either Transmit or FileZilla (on mac)

If I use my phone as a hotspot and then try and connect, everything works as expected. 

I've spoken to the host and they have confirmed they're able to connect via SFTP with no issues. 

I can connect by FTP to other servers, and even by SFTP to some other servers.

I've been scratching my head over this for the last few days and I'm stumped. I've rebooted the router, tried turning the firewall off, rebooted the server on the remote end, etc etc. Weirdly, I am able to connect (SLOWLY) using a different app - ForkLift or CaptainFTP were both able to establish connections. 

Given that it all works perfectly when not using the Virgin connection, I can only think its something to do with the router, but I'm totally confused as to what or why. Especially as its only started happening recently.

If anyone has any experience of similar issues I'd be mega grateful. I did see there were a few topics about sftp/ssh connections but they all seemed to suggest things I've already tried, apart from the nuclear options of either getting a replacement superhub or a putting the existing one into modem mode and picking up a dedicated router. 

Cheers!

0 Kudos
andrewkp
Dialled in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: SFTP connections refused

It looks like you have tried a few things. 

As a test you could try sticking the router into modem mode (no WiFi) and connect via a LAN cable.

There are few things that change when sticking the hub into modem mode and it may help.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: SFTP connections refused

@ok1990 wrote:

Hi there. Starting from a couple of weeks back until a few days ago, I was able to connect - albeit very slowly - via SFTP to a DreamHost VPS I use for personal websites and so on. 

As of a few days ago, I'm not able to connect at all using either Transmit or FileZilla (on mac)

If I use my phone as a hotspot and then try and connect, everything works as expected. 

I've spoken to the host and they have confirmed they're able to connect via SFTP with no issues. 

I can connect by FTP to other servers, and even by SFTP to some other servers.

I've been scratching my head over this for the last few days and I'm stumped. I've rebooted the router, tried turning the firewall off, rebooted the server on the remote end, etc etc. Weirdly, I am able to connect (SLOWLY) using a different app - ForkLift or CaptainFTP were both able to establish connections. 

Given that it all works perfectly when not using the Virgin connection, I can only think its something to do with the router, but I'm totally confused as to what or why. Especially as its only started happening recently.

This is a common mistake on people's part.  If you can connect to other SFTP servers then why should the router stop you connecting to this one?  Answer - it wouldn't!

2 Possibilities I can think of offhand.

1.  Virgin Media might be directing you through it's virus safe server - this is a proxy that has been known to cause some issues. Post the results of the following command

nslookup <SFTP server hostname>

2.  That your host is blocking your Public Virgin Media IP address.  You can find the IP by typing the term IP into a Google search box.  Then ask your host to check their firewall logs.

If anyone has any experience of similar issues I'd be mega grateful. I did see there were a few topics about sftp/ssh connections but they all seemed to suggest things I've already tried, apart from the nuclear options of either getting a replacement superhub or a putting the existing one into modem mode and picking up a dedicated router. 

Cheers!

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos