cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubbish virgin

Thewho515
Settling in

For the last few weeks we have unstable Wi-Fi and tv , we phoned virgin and they keep saying it’s a fault our end and to unplug and reboot still the same , we will consider changing to another tv and Wi-Fi provider unless they get it sorted  

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you checked for any “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

scotty001
Up to speed

In my experience the people on the phone don't know what they are doing and will try and fob you off. (maybe not all of them but every one i get connected to)

Thankfully the Forum team are much more knowledgeable and helpful, they don't fall to bits when you say you think there is an issue with your signal strength (like the people on the phone do (In my experience) but it can take a day or so to get to your post and reply !!! they have to monitor EVERY post made

When you say unstable what do you mean ?

TV - Pixelation, subscribed channels not being inaccessible, V6 re booting all the time, recordings glitchy, voice sync out, TV Guide slow to open / navigate, slow response changing channels, streaming channels constantly buffering / loosing connection ???

Is your V6 connected to the hub via Wifi or via an ethernet cable ?

Wifi - Dropping out, slow speeds, constantly disconnecting & reconnecting ?

Are all devices (Phones, Computers, Laptops, Tablets, Smart devices)  affected or only some affected ?,The ones that are affected where are they in relation to the Hub (distance from it) ? are there any walls between the affected devices & Hub

Are devices connected the the 2.4ghz frequency / 5ghz frequency ? (5Ghz can have quicker speeds but signal doesn't go as far as 2.4ghz and struggles through walls.

Have you checked what channel the hub is outputting on ? if so have you checked how congested those channels are? you could be competing with other router's on the same channel.

How are your speeds when connecting the devices (those capable) using an Ethernet cable ? do you still have issues ?

one good thing to check and post here is the SNR / Power ratios of your hub, that could indicate the cause of the problem, to get this either click on this link ( 192.168.0.1 ) or type it into your web browser, it will take you to the admin menu for your hub

scotty001_0-1649518000537.png

you don't need to sign in, just click on the > Check your Router Status and it will take you to the status page

scotty001_1-1649518108610.png

Click on Downstream then copy and paste, do this for upstream and Network log (you are best copying and pasting each into a new reply as there is a lot of info and it wont all fit in one reply.

It would also be a good idea to set up a free Broadband quality monitor, Many forum members use thinkbroadband, https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

It will show you what your internet connection is like, (latency and packet loss) It can really help other forum members and Forum team help you.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@scotty001 wrote:

In my experience the people on the phone don't know what they are doing and will try and fob you off. (maybe not all of them but every one i get connected to)

Correct - but there are no people on the 0800 number or indeed - the website.  They are simply information portals that let you know if they know that something is wrong.  If nothing is reported the OP will have to call in and tell them or wait for VM to pick this up here in a few days.

Good advice re. getting the data 👍

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The OP will have to call in and tell them

It is these people i am referring to, admittedly i assumed when the OP said they had called VM, they called and spoke to some one and didn't just get the chatbot.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Thewho515

Thank you so much for your first post to our community forums and welcome to the team! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing these issues with us! 

Can I just clarify, are you experiencing these issues across any wired connections at all or is it only WiFi? 

Thank you.