cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routing across two WiFi networks

nadimaj
Tuning in

I have a Superhub 5 broadcasting a single WiFi network over 5 and 2.4G (Wireless1 / 192.168.0.x). As soon as I connect more than a couple of (2.4G) smart home light switches to this WiFi (ESP32 based in case you're interested), the router crashes and dies a miserable death until it is reset to factory settings. I have 20 of these light switches already installed, which I'm not going to get rid of now! I found a workaround by using another WiFi router (2.4G only) which bridges itself to the Virigin WiFi (without wires) but using its own subnet (Wireless2 / 192.168.1.x). Importantly, the other WiFi network is able to route to the Superhub WiFi subnet and to the Internet. I.e. I can ping from this network to anything running on the Virgin WiFi network and the Internet.

However, anything connected to the Superhub WiFi (Wireless1) is unable to ping anything on Wireless2. I'm thinking a static route? Is needed, but where might I create this?

11 REPLIES 11

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Tudor wrote:

"Loads and loads of static lease entries on the Hub it is then!" everyone confuses this. They are not static, they are preferred IP addresses and not guaranteed. 

Well it guaranteed that the IP is given out to the said MAC ...but thats not how the hubs router mode works.

---------------------------------------------------------------

There is no good reason in a residential network to have a large number of fixed IP addresses. I have fixed the IP address of my NAS as my Dune media player needs it for SMB of NFS access, but other devices including streaming sticks, TV box and TV just get their IP addresses dynamically and everything works perfectly well.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection