cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router seems to have taken a nosedive recently.

AndyPozz
Tuning in

Morning All, 

I've been with Virgin for circa 18 months, and bar the odd day have had no issues with connectivity etc. 

However just recently the Chromecast in my bedroom tv started flaking out. More often than not it would state the error "wifi disconnected". Seeing as all other devices in my house continued to work fine (including a Nintento Switch and Google Nest that both lived next to the TV with the Chromecast), I simply assumed that the Chromecast had given up the ghost (it's approx 8yr old). 

I purchased an Amazon Firestick - which is now displaying the same "Disconnected from wifi" errors. I'm starting to think that the TV is situated in a blackspot in the house. As I've never had previous issues (with Virgin or other previous suppliers going back 4-5yr) I'm starting to suspect that a possible recent change to the Router (hub3) may have affected it's range. 

I've tried numerous resets / restarts, and ensured that both the 2.5gig and 5gig channels are open. Other devices seem to work fine in the bedroom - the only things that struggle are anything plugged into the TV in question. 

The only other change that I can think may be worth mentioning is that I've added a Google Stadia and Chromecast Ultra to the TV downstairs. I'm using it wired via ethernet direct into the router. I suspected that this may be an issue at first however the problem still occurs when the new chromecast ultra is unplugged. 

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's happened? Has anyone had similar issues? Will a wifi extender/repeater help at all? Have I simply got too many devices on my network? (it's circa 10 counting the tv device that never seems to connect). 

I have a Hub3 with 100mbps (Whenever I test the speed it seems very close to the advertised 100mbps)

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
WiFi can be made better by getting a wireless router with 1Gb ports and hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
WiFi can be made better by getting a wireless router with 1Gb ports and hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your quick response. Any ideas as to why the problem has suddenly occurred?

Because the hubs just have poor wifi in general.

Do ethernet connected devices experience any issues?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Perfect, thanks again for your response.

Hi AndyPozz,

Thank you for your post.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had some issues with your wireless connections as of recent. I've been able to locate your account and can't see any issues with your signal from here and hub specs all look normal, so this may indicate that the issue is solely WiFi related. If you still need some help, can you please let us know if your wired devices are also affected so we can help further?

Thanks

Beth