cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router security settings

Regburns123
Tuning in

Got a virgin router a few months ago. I experience occasional drop outs, especially with my Sky box. Reading around, it seems I might be better off improving my router security settings. All my devices suggest I should run my router on a more secure setting. WA3.  However, if that is the case, surely Virgin would have set it at that when they installed the router.

Then, there is the small matter of resetting my devices to the new router settings: iPads, iPhones, PCs, laptops, TVs, alexas, plugs, bulbs, Ring camera, and god knows what else. Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

None of the Virgin supplied routers support WPA3 or Wi-Fi 6, apart from the newly introduced Hub 5. This is currently supplied on an invitation only basis.

If you want to move up to this & have a Hub 3 or Hub 4, you will have to invest in your own router with the facility & put the Virgin hub in modem mode.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So, should I leave the router with the message that it is WEAK SECURITY?  That would be the Virgin default setting. 

@Regburns123 wrote:

So, should I leave the router with the message that it is WEAK SECURITY?  That would be the Virgin default setting. 

Not necessarily, no,

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/iOS-14-Weak-Security/td-p/4410050 

OK. My current setting is

WPA2 Personal. 

I will just leave it at that. 

thanks for clarifying it for me. 

best wishes. 

There are two ‘flavours’ of WPA2 which are TKIP and AES. It is the former WPA2-TKIP which is now regarded as being insecure, the AES version is fine. Recent (well last year) updates to iOS now flag up a WPA2 connection using TKIP, if you change the router settings to be WPA2-AES only, the warning will go away.

BUT, you may have some older equipment which can’t use that setting (which is why VM don’t have it as the default), if you do want to improve security then make the change but then check all of your devices to make sure they can still connect OK.