Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Router security running an audio server

Hi. I'm currently running an audio streaming service (Airsonic) from main pc and intend to move that to a networked Raspberry Pi soon to reduce the security risk to my main pc and not have it constantly powered. I read that the gold standard security option for this setup is reverse proxy with nginx but between that and the dynamic ip tinkering i'm out of my depth. For an easier time i was wondering this. Since i know that only myself and one other person will be accessing the server with our mobile phones can i configure the router to block all connections not coming from those sources? I suppose mobiles don't have fixed ip's so could a rule be setup in the MAC filters to only allow connections from those two MAC addresses?

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router security running an audio server

You’d need your own router that supports that 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I see there are MAC filtering options in the Superhub 3 settings. Do they not allow for what i'm describing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

MAC filtering is for internet access.

Not remote access filtering. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

internet connections don't know the mac address. what only works on the local network

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

i see.. ok thanks all. Any suggestions on improving security for this setup on the router or am i just going to have to have a crash course in the stuff mentioned earlier?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You could always put it behind a VPN. 

But personally it's probably easier to just put a server in the DMZ and make regular backups, if it gets compromised at some point just restore from backup. Just make sure no services are open that you don't need and remember that if it's a proper DMZ, you can't access any other local devices from that PC or access it from the internal network - only external. 

[Not sure if the Virgin box supports a proper DMZ though...] 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks. I did see a DMZ option but it's new to me so will have to read up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

DMZ is the worst idea. only run and open the ports and services to the internet you need.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

A quick scan leads me to the same conclusion. As it is i only need one port forwarded and am trying to make it more secure, but as i'll only have the one drive attached and will have it backed up it's not the end of the world if someone gets into it.

0 Kudos