cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router red light over heating?

aallston
Joining in

Our hub 3 router has a constant red light, but everything is working fine. I've read that a red light means overheating but when I called VM they said that the light doesn't mean that and it really can be any colour as long as the router doesn't feel hot or there are problems. Is this right???

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A VM person will respond soon.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @aallston, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see you are having issues with the red light on the hub. It can certainly mean it could be overheating but can also indicate an issue with the broadband connection. Just to confirm, have you been able to follow the following instructions?

- Turn the power switch off at the back of the hub
- Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight
- Switch the power switch back on

If you still see the red light appearing on the hub after checking this please let me know so further help can be given.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi there thanks for your help. Yes, it's still red after on/off. And it's well ventilated so not sure why it's red. 

Thanks for letting me know, it would be best to check this further for you so I am going to send you a PM so this can be done.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for chatting with me via PM @aallston.

As engineer has been booked in to come and check on the hub to make sure everything is as it should be. You can view your engineer appointment via your online account here. You can also change or cancel this if the appointment time does not suit you anymore.

If the appointment is missed there may be a £25 charge so please ensure someone over the age of 18 will be in the property during the appointment time.

Regards

Nathan