cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router recommendations

Thommo14
Dialled in

I've been experiencing infuriating 5Ghz connection dropouts on several mobile devices in my home. I have tried changing channels on my Hub 3, but the changes simply won't stick (they will save, but next time you log into the router it reverts to channel 44).

Looking at other posts with a similar issue, a good option appears to be buying a new router and putting Virgin's into modem mode.

So, I'm looking for a router recommendation.

Thanks in advance

15 REPLIES 15

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@roy247 wrote:

All of the above answer's for a new router are valid but have you checked the hub 3 setting for Channel Optimisation is set to off.

If you are staying in router mode, the above advice is sound - otherwise channel optimisation causes drops.  But with the Hub 3, that's just another deckchair to rearrange.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

@Sephiroth wrote:

@roy247 wrote:

All of the above answer's for a new router are valid but have you checked the hub 3 setting for Channel Optimisation is set to off.

If you are staying in router mode, the above advice is sound - otherwise channel optimisation causes drops.  But with the Hub 3, that's just another deckchair to rearrange.

I still have a hub 3 and don't need to rearrange any deck chairs.

Thanks. I'm not planning on upgrading to the Gig1 anytime soon, but would never rule it out at some point.

My PC is the only wired connection I have to the Hub 3 - everything else is wireless. That isn't likely to change.

I don't have any dead spots at home. Hub 3 randomly drops 5Ghz connections, whether that's right next to the router upstairs or somewhere downstairs.

I should've mentioned that I already had this disabled. Ta.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good basic 3 unit mesh should do it

Just make sure they have 1 Gb ports or you will be forever limited to 100/10 Mpps 😎  Some cheaper/older units dont have those

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Will keep that in mind, cheers!