cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router overheating

AmyM1990
Joining in

I have a Virgin Media Hub 3 router which is just under 18 months old. It has always worked fine with no overheating issues, but over the past week it has started getting extremely hot to the touch. I have tried unplugging it to let it cool down - each time it cools but as soon as I plug it back in it heats right up again. The wifi works fine but the light is amber/yellow as opposed to the usual white. The router is in a well ventilated area in a cool room away from direct sun light. 

I have tried to call Virgin about this but they have made it impossible to get through (the call options just send me in a circle) and I can't find anyway to access live chat. Apparently there are works going on in my area but I do not see why this would make the router overheat? I would like Virgin to send me a new router as I'm worried it is a fire risk. 

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's overheating its either a failed update (VM send these through randomly) or what I believe is that it's on its last legs and it'll conk out for good shortly.

Id keep trying to reach someone to request a replacement (don't be pushed to upgrade your plan for a new router as they have a habit of pushing this) or perhaps a mod reading this will reach out and organise one for you.

Its not if, it's definitely when it'll fail, as it could be a fire risk.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @AmyM1990,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some issues with your Hub overheating at the moment! This is definitely not the service we aim to provide and I do apologise that you're having this issue. If your Hub is overheating and is hot to the touch, we would advise turning off your Hub as this could be a potential Fire Hazard.

As you stated, there are local works that are active in your area at the moment. There is an SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) outage at the moment. The Fault number is F009943648 and the estimated fix time is showing as 03/08/22 at 9am.

However, as your Hub is overheating I'll be more than happy to investigate this further for you. I will send you a Private Message, so please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thank you! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs