cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router not sending WiFi signal upstairs

Unique1
Tuning in

Router not sending WiFi signal upstairs this week. Dropped from 400mbps to 50. Cant load Internet on computer. I've reset router . No change. I'm on M350

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

12 REPLIES 12

Richw1982
Rising star

Try a pinhole reset to force any updates.  Press and hold reset button on back for 15 seconds then release for 5.  Repeat this 3 times and wait 10 mins for it to load back up.

-Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal

1)  Make sure 2.4 and 5 are enabled.

2)  Scroll to bottom and disable smart Wi-Fi.

3)  Select 20 on 2.4GHz

4)  Select 20/40/80 on 5GHz.

Save settings.

(Wi-Fi will drop out and then re-connect)

Re-enable smart Wi-Fi and save settings again.

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Should be easy with those instructions! I've typed in the numbers on my phone on mobile data and it doesn't take me to the router page. Found virgin media router page but cant log in. I've reset router as per instruction  but got no further atm..Internet 130mps upstairs but won't load my Gmail. 

Will try again later.

g0akc
Problem sorter

You need to be connected to the hub on its own network (WiFi or preferably Ethernet) to login - not on mobile data. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Unique1,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thank you for posting.

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing some issues with WiFi. 

I have taken a look at your account using your forum info and can see your hub was last rebooted 2 days ago which is great and there are no issues with your power levels. There is no area outage that is impacting you either.

I do note however that there does appear to be a coverage issue with WiFi and at least one device could be experiencing poor WiFi performance. This is usually devices connected to your in home network that are too far away from the hub. 

We have some tips on getting the best out of your WiFi here. I'd also recommend our Connect App to help with optimising your wireless connections. If any blackspots are identified you will be promoted to order a WiFi Pod which will help improve coverage.

Kind Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for advice Ayisha. I use virgin connect and have read various WiFi articles from virgin to try and improve the connection. I still have a drop of 300mbps from downstairs to the room upstairs which is above the router. I barely  get any connection in the room above the garage presumably due to a brick outside wall. However when my signal is down I can see another router giving better performance mine but it's not in my house! Neither is it in the house attached to me! 

I'm not prepared to pay for repeater plugins every month but may have to buy a set. The poor connection is an ongoing problem. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Dont buy repeater plugs, they are a poor solution technically - unless you pay top whack for the Devolo Magic ones and for less money than that, you can get a better solution...

Get either a…
(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for coming back to me @Unique1

As a provider we do not guarantee WiFi signal as numerous factors can cause drops in performance. Have you tried connecting via Ethernet? You should be able to achieve the subscribed service on a wired connection.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

My last message from jbrennand has disappeared when I click on link how do I find it?

Was it a PM or in this thread?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7