cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router needs resetting every morning

jmg156
On our wavelength

Hi there,

For some time now I've found I have to keep resetting my router each morning in order for me to gain internet access. I thought it was an issue with my old laptop, but I've recently bought a new one and the same thing happens with this machine too. 

It is an old router so I have considered that's the issue, but I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That was possibly a fob to get you off the phone - as there is shortage of new Hubs at the moment - so they will only upgrade faulty ones.

Check for known faults as below - if nothing shows there - call in again and if they say it again get the fault reference number from them.

Also tell them that your Hub is not capable of broadcasting the 2 wifi frequencies (2.4 & 5 GHz) simultaneously - so you cannot connect your faster devices (modern phones/laptops etc) on the faster 5 GHz band at the same time as your 2.4 only ones (Doorbells, cameras, some printers, CH controllers, smart meters, etc.) and hence it is not fit for purpose (as well as faulty!) E.g., my iPhone gets ~220mbps on 5GHz but only ~50mbps when I switch it to the 2.4 one.

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model is it (on the base sticker)?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jmg156
On our wavelength

It's a Superhub 1, as far as I know it's the original router from when my Dad had the internet installed several years ago.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Blimey.... I thought all of those were being used as doorstops - mine is !

It ought to be replaced to a Hub3 by now (for several reasons). Call it in and report it as faulty when they send a Tech out they will replace it as a matter of course.

If you are blanked on the phone to CS - come back here

--------------------
John
--------------------

@jbrennand wrote:
Blimey.... I thought all of those were being used as doorstops - mine is !

Must you😶

yes you can get a second hand hub 3 unless they got new stock by now or you can put the SH1 in modem mode and get your own router with 1Gb ports 

---------------------------------------------------------------

jmg156
On our wavelength

I gave CS a ring yesterday evening.

I was told there is an ongoing connectivity fault in my area (the service status doesn't suggest this) and instructed to monitor the situation for another 7 days, if nothing changes then I'd have to call them back to arrange for a technician to come and have a look at the router.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That was possibly a fob to get you off the phone - as there is shortage of new Hubs at the moment - so they will only upgrade faulty ones.

Check for known faults as below - if nothing shows there - call in again and if they say it again get the fault reference number from them.

Also tell them that your Hub is not capable of broadcasting the 2 wifi frequencies (2.4 & 5 GHz) simultaneously - so you cannot connect your faster devices (modern phones/laptops etc) on the faster 5 GHz band at the same time as your 2.4 only ones (Doorbells, cameras, some printers, CH controllers, smart meters, etc.) and hence it is not fit for purpose (as well as faulty!) E.g., my iPhone gets ~220mbps on 5GHz but only ~50mbps when I switch it to the 2.4 one.

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

jmg156
On our wavelength

I've just called the automated helpline as you've suggested, which confirms there are no known faults in my area, so it looks like I was indeed fobbed off. It didn't stop them trying to get me to add more services to my package though!

I'll give them a ring again and see what they say, then report back.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do not accept any package upgrades !

--------------------
John
--------------------

jmg156
On our wavelength

Oh I didn't, I'm happy with my package as it is.

The advisor I've just spoken to was much more helpful, she has arranged for a Superhub 4 to be delivered free of charge and didn't try to make me add anything to my package. Result!