cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router keeps dropping out & WiFi connected but no internet

EmCAKE
Tuning in

Hi, I've been having issues with my internet dropping in and out for some time now. I have multiple devices connected to the WiFi but there are now two devices that just won't connect despite having the correct login details (Amazon Firestick and laptop). Both of these used to connect but are now showing that they are connected to WiFi but not connected to the internet. Nothing has changed this side from what I can see to have stopped them from working (i.e. changing the WiFi password).

After running a ping test this evening it appears that my router keeps temporarily dropping out. I have tried contacting support but unable to get through and found no help articles online that are of any help apart from ones explaining that a new router may be needed. However, I'm unable to discuss this with anyone at Virgin as I can't get hold of anybody. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to help resolve this issue? Many thanks 

14 REPLIES 14

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Do a 60 second pinhole reset on the hub then set everything up again. See now it behaves after that.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thank you for your reply - I tried that the other day and this didn't work and have since restarted the router multiple times. All the other devices connect but these two just aren't having any of it and the router continues to keep dropping out.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John, thank you for your response. The laptop connects fine when using an ethernet cable. I've ordered an ethernet adapotor for the firestick but this won't arrive until Tuesday so won't know until then. It's a Hub 3.0 - and the light on the front of the Hub is a constant white light when the issue happens with the two devices. All other devices are connected fine via WiFi (phones, plugs, amazon echo, thermostat etc).

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this re. wifi

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

£40-100 should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John. I'm on the M200 Fibre Broadband so it doesn't sound like I'd be able to claim the wifi pods. I'll look into your recommendations and give those a try, but I did notice on the Firestick it doesn't give you an option to choose between 2.4 or 5 GHz, just the default WiFi?   

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Never used a Firestick - but if it isn't offering you the option to connect to either SSID then it must be 2.4 "only"

--------------------
John
--------------------

@jbrennand wrote:
Never used a Firestick - but if it isn't offering you the option to connect to either SSID then it must be 2.4 "only"

Not quite- as…….Amazon FS dual band since 2014

I’m (ab)using SH3 VMDG505(router mode) on v10 hardware with v9.1.1912.304 firmware provisioned on m200/20 tier on single SSID as I’m still trialing VM Pods (aka Plume) & VM Powerlines (aka Comtrend) with wife’s FS on 5G band in upstairs bedroom.

7315BAFA-FECC-476D-9E14-8847437232CD.png

9CFC3B33-97C5-4007-86E2-01667191D46A.jpeg

Since I’m stress testing over and above the limited formal VM CPE Trials (from 2015 to 2019/21) then currently I’m using DHCP reservations without any insurmountable issues apart from sporadic known “resource” issues which are easily resolved with usually warm/soft POR, occasionally cold/hard POR (but NEVER Factory Reset*).

[*] NB: I have rarely resorted to FR in last 6 years   - and then only to mainly toggle NMS pushed firmware back to production CONFIG PULLED version. The last CPE idiot induced stupidity being earlier Jan after v9.1.1209.200 had been forced (via NMS I suspect destined for v11 h/w SH3 and not v10) which ForumTeam could not resolve and required me to perform a cold FR myself.

@jbrennand - Appreciate this is out-of-scope of most users,some VIP’s and ForumTeam are prevented from encouraging debate by middle management (especially from banned former VIP/SU/CA’s……    😜  LoL ) sorry for any embassment…. 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED

@horseman wrote:

@jbrennand wrote:

……..

@jbrennand - Appreciate this is out-of-scope of most users,some VIP’s and ForumTeam are prevented from encouraging debate by middle management (especially from banned former VIP/SU/CA’s……    😜  LoL ) sorry for any embassment…. 

In the unlikely event any user noticed that FireStik 5Ghz band example previously had only connected with 5.85 Mbps bandwidth then current link speed of 571 Mbps earlier this morning below probably illustrating how varied 5G band can be unless channel/frequency/dfs/tpc and numerous other FS & Hub resources included:

F88456BE-00CE-4CF4-B91F-8F81614C214F.jpeg

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED