cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router is cooked - how do I get a new one?

hazbaz
Joining in

Our Hub 3.0 is bust. Wired connection works fine. WiFi is knackered. Have tried factory reset and switching it off and on, it just keeps switching in and out, and stating that password is incorrect. Think it might have overheated badly. 

Technical support isn’t helpful. As tests aren’t showing a problem, but there is clearly is one. And it’s impossible to get through to a human being to ask for another one to be sent out.

Any ideas on how to facilitate the sending of a new hub?

Thanks. 

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

With current shortages I believe that at the moment you will have to have tech visit to verify its borked and to fit a replacement.

You need to persist on the phone, or wait here for a day or two for a VM person to help.

Or, as wired connections are fine, you could bite the bullet and bung it into modem mode with your own better quality router and wireless equipment. That will continue to work for you whatever Hub VM supply you with in the future

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ah yes. Of course. I completely forgot about the current global shortage of electrical components and boards. What a pain.

Yeah. Reasonable suggestion. I just don’t want to have to shell out for a separate wireless hub to get the service I pay for. 

Pretty sure it’s borked (great phrase btw). Did get through to a human in tech support, who tinkered with it and it worked for about 10 mins. Now it’s down again. Reet pain. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ok a VM person will respond here but it can take a few days.

FWIW - the service you pay for is speeds TO the Hub and out of it on an ethernet cable. Wifi connectivity and speed is never guaranteed. That is one reason (there are many others) why I have always used my own router and wireless equipment 🙂

That said of course, the Hub wifi should at least "work" so if its borked they will replace the Hub. Albeit it may well to be a refurbished one nowadays - and they are even using SH2's again due to the Hub shortage 😞

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@hazbaz wrote:

Technical support isn’t helpful. As tests aren’t showing a problem, but there is clearly is one.

Yup VM think if Docsis link is up your hub is fine they can't test wifi or Ethernet which can be the problem.

It will be easier to get your own router.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @hazbaz,

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see that your Hub has burnt out.

I can arrange for a tech to visit your home and replace this, but I will need to bring you into a private message first.

Please look out for a plum envelope at the top right of your page.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide