cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router for VM 1gb

mrpennisi
Joining in

Hello, 

since I am still experiencing problems with the Hub4, I would like to change and get a different router. 

Will this be ideal with a VM 1GB?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0845XD62P/?coliid=I2G9UL5YE8PWGR&colid=13CB919MGJ6NT&psc=1&ref_=gv_ov_l...

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

g0akc
Problem sorter

That should be fine - or spend more for the higher spec model

It all depends on your needs - property, number of devices, users, usage profile etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Hi, 

I have 6 Google home mini, plus laptop , smart tv etc... When I had the 350mbs contract I used a fritz box 7530 and everything was smooth and reliable. 

what is the HS model that you are referring to?

Thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It is a good introductory router and can handle ~960 on ethernet connections. Note that is only a Wifi5 router and so can never get more than ~600 on a single wifi device.

You will need to get a Wifi6 model to get close to the 1GB on a single device.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@mrpennisi wrote:

what is the HS model that you are referring to?

The link you gave was for an ‘AC1900’ model - alongside it the Amazon website shows other models including an ‘AC2300’ one at £89.99

Regardless, JB has pointed out single device limitations - so the difference is around how many devices can be consuming data simultaneously/total throughput

Some traffic could be LAN only - if you had a NAS for example. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
This is a similar Wifi6 one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Next-Gen-Gigabit-Wireless-1201Mbps/dp/B089YXY2YH/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yep, 

ended up ordering this at the end. VM sent me one of that wifi boosters (the white hex thing that you plug into a wall socket).Should I unplug this or will it work wit the new router too?

Thanks

@mrpennisi wrote:

Yep, 

ended up ordering this at the end. VM sent me one of that wifi boosters (the white hex thing that you plug into a wall socket).Should I unplug this or will it work wit the new router too?

Thanks

VM's boosters will only work with their HUB.

Hello, 

Trying to setup the router but is not working. Did everything as per guide(correct order) but the router can't access internet. Weirdly enough, the VM HUB4 keeps broadcasting the WiFi, even in modem mode (deninig access to all the devices of course)

How is possible that VM can always screw u

Hi @

Welcome back to the community!

Sorry to heat that you're having issues with modem mode on our Hub 4. We do have a guide here which advises how to put the router into modem mode.

Once you have the router in modem mode, power off the Hub 4 and connect your 3rd party router via ethernet cable into port 1 only. No other devices should be connected via ethernet cable to the Hub 4 at this point. If you have a TV service connected via ethernet, please also remove the ethernet from the Hub 4 (if applicable). Once you have this set up, power on the Hub 4. 

Let me know if this works for you. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley