cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router firmware fault

andy-hughes
Tuning in

Hi There,

Is there a 3rd line support engineer or router firmware engineer here?

I’ve been having repeat issues with DHCP Server failing on my router. I’ve had 2 routers and both have the same issue when the router is due to release & renew IP Addresses it fails renewing IP Addresses the only way I can resolve the issue is by rebooting my router every time it fails or just use static IP Addresses in stead which is impossible when I have wireless devices that only use DHCP and are not able to be configured to static IP Addresses. 

19 REPLIES 19

g0akc
Problem sorter

Just to add - in an ideal world VM would be liaising with you - and '3rd line support' would be looking into this. 

They might try to recreate the issue themselves, or even get your unit from you and check that.

I've known other ISPs and router manufacturer's do such - usually during a trial phase or if it's feared in might be more widespread/likely to affect many customers

However, I guess it's highly unlikely that VM will do that here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @andy-hughes,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your hub and its firmware. Have the team been back in touch since you last posted on this thread to provide any updates for you?

Regards,

Steven_L

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I don't see anything from stats and logs that jump out at me. As we don't know what changes you've made to the hub, and you say that you've had two, so do a pinhole reset for at least 20 seconds to put it back to factory settings and its DHCP server should just work for all connected devices.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi Steven,

I’ve not heard anything back from Virgin Media. All the staff I spoke to were unable to understand or begin to try resolve my issue. I tried several times with different agents at 1st line & 2nd line support and they couldn’t understand what issue I was experiencing.

I have used the pin hole trick twice and factory reset my router via the web gui once and still I have the same issue the DHCP Server on the VM Hub gives up and stops providing IP Addresses.

I’m still having to reboot the router every couple days or use static IP Addresses. But most of my smart home devices only support DHCP I.e. smart bulbs.

the VM Hub is still in factory state and has been for numerous months. I’ve not changed or modified any settings on any of the VM Hub 4’s I’ve had and still continue to have DHCP issues. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are any of the static addresses you have used within the DHCP scope? I have seen this cause problems on other systems.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Tudor,

my issue is not with the static addresses I only use them as a last resort when the dhcp server stops working & I can’t reboot the router. 

my main issue is dhcp server stops providing the ip addresses after 24-48 hours. 

Have you done any of the things I suggested (or asked)?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Do you have a switch to the hub in router mode?

cut power to your home do a reset on the hub before the hub starts up

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it's been awhile since I last updated but I'm now on my third super hub 3 and after 2 weeks developed the same issue again. Super hub 3 not supplying devices with IP addresses when attempting to connect via WiFi or ethernet. If I statically assign the IP address on a wireless device or ethernet device it will work normally and connects to the internet.

Hey there @andy-hughes, thanks for the post.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been having with the Virgin Media broadband.
I can see that this will require further investigation based on the service levels on our end.
I will send a private message - watch out for the purple envelope.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs