cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router drops out nightly

Firecox69
Joining in

Hi, every night this week and a couple of times last month...ive gotten up to find the router has dropped out....if I turn it off and on it connects...tried ringing ....sent an email...usual check connections etc if problem persists...ring engineer in 24 hours...only ring again and stuck in a loop ..wait 24 hours still can't speak to an actual person....live bot is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.....I need to talk to a human....getting fed up with this and them...B38 area....any help much appreciated 

Regards

Firecox

15 REPLIES 15

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM often do network maintainance in the early hours so that could be the reason if its happening at that time?

Also,  is it dropping just on wif or on ethernet cable connections too?  If it is dropping on ethernet, if you want to monitor it for the records, do this.

If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi I only have broadband with virgin so just a WiFi router

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your broadband connection is terminated in a VM “hub”. This consists of a Wireless Access Point that provides WiFi and a 4 port network switch which provides a wired Ethernet connection for up to 4 devices. Speed tests should ALWAYS be carried out on a Ethernet wired connection, VM do not guarantee WiFi due to many external factors not in their control.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

If they don't guarantee it..how can they sell it as 100mb superfast....plus how does any of that help me???

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Did you read the terms and conditions before joining - if not yoiu will see it explained in there.

It will help us (you) to diagnose whether you have an issue just on wifi or also on a network connection (ethernet) - different solutions to fixing those issues apply

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

• The only thing connected to the router via Ethernet is the sky box...Alexa is WiFi, that's how I know its dropped out. Apart from checking my pad and no WiFi...Then when I turn on the Sky box...I cant get on demand,   so its Ethernet and Wifi....must drop out while I'm in bed...as its OK before hand...so sometime after 10 ish....has been OK before that I'm guessing 2 years now

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The proof will be in the BQM and Hub stats.

Post up the link to the BQM as advised in message 2.

Then post up the Hub stats - lots of posts on here have the "how to".

--------------------
John
--------------------

The first time this month...ive gotten up and the Internet is working...is this the end of the nightly drop out...????

Hi Firecox69,

Thank you for reaching back out to us in our community and thank you for the update, glad to hear everything was OK when you got up Yesterday, how were things Today has it remained OK?

Regards

Paul.