Menu
adamrh
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Router disconnects idle devices

Since being sent a new router, I have huge problems with wifi connectivity which Virgin Support desk cannot resolve.  This affects most but not all devices.  Everything was fine before the new router.  Any ideas?

The device can see the Wifi network, and can connect.  From the router config page, I can see that the device is connected and that the router is connected to the internet.  But after the device has been idle for a few minutes, the router no longer connects it to the internet - so the device sees the network but I get a "no internet" status or else it just cannot connect to the network.  

Rebooting the device or the router fixes the problem, as does switching temporarily to the 2g network.  Also affects a network printer - after a few minutes it is no longer properly networked and has to be rebooted every time I want to print.  So I doubt this is related to the incoming signal strength, as it affects the functionality of the local network.  Virgin Media arranged a replacement but identical router but the problem persists.

It looks to me like a compatibility issue or bug with the router, but Virgin Support tell me the firmware is up to date (cannot see how to check this from the router config page). 

Devices affected are 2x Mac laptops, 6 iOS devices, Brother printer.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router disconnects idle devices

Hello adamrh

It does sound like it could possibly be a compatibility thing, at the moment the hub is reporting that the 5G and 2.4G channel width has been increased, is that something you have done? Perhaps that is causing a problem or maybe you did it and it has fixed it. At the moment I am able to see quite a few wireless devices connected and looking reasonably stable, please bring us up to date.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
adamrh
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler
Thanks for the response.  
I have not intentionally made many changes myself to the settings - all were done remotely by Support in an attempt to resolve the problem.  At the weekend I changed the channel selection to Automatic, and earlier I changed the Printer connection to a fixed IP address.  I also configured the 2.5 and 5 GHz networks to have different SSIDs which provides a workaround - when one stops working for me, sometimes switching to the other network from the device resolves the problem.  

I am still experiencing the problem.

As you observe, I have many wireless devices connected but it seems the problem most usually impacts the iOS devices and my network connected printer and only occasionally the other devices.  When the problem occurs (which seems to be after the devices have been idle) I still have a strong wifi connection showing on the device, and from the Router config page I can still see that the device is connected to the router.  But the router doesn't seem to be routing any signals even if it is connected to the device - i.e. the iPhones cannot access the internet any longer and other devices on the network cannot connect to the printer any longer.

Support sent a 2nd engineer to look at the problem, but he could not offer any resolution suggestions.
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked your devices for any enabled power saving features?

0 Kudos
adamrh
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Griffin - thanks.  Indeed there was some sort of timeout on the printer which I cancelled.  But I am not aware of anything similar on an updated iPhone.  Bear in mind from the device's perspective everything looks OK in terms of wifi connectivity, it is just the router isn't connecting the device to the internet (or in the case of the printer, to the local network) any more.

Also, everything was 100% OK with my previous Virgin router, all of these problems only manifested themselves after the replacement router was installed.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear about all of this adamrh,

I've checked your connection and everything appears to be spot on with regards to the equipment levels, etc., at the moment.

Let me know if you're still experiencing disconnections,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
adamrh
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Nat,

Yes the problem is still occurring.

As I said in the original posts, we have had 2 engineers visit us and they confirm the issue is not to do with the signal to the router/equipment levels etc.  It seem that the router is dropping devices off the internal network somehow.  i.e. after my iPhone has been idle for some time, although it is still connected to the wifi, it can no longer connect to the internet unless I restart the device or toggle the wifi on/off.  Other devices which have been continuously active on the internet are unaffected.  This also impacts a network connected printer, which the router lists as connected to the internet, but which other devices cannot connect to until I power it off/on again.  i.e. the fault is not to do with the broadband connection, but to do with the router's network routing functionality.  Sorry if this is a bad explanation but I am not really an expert here.  All the problems were fine before this new router was supplied.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Community elder
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Have you split the 2.4 & 5Ghz bands into two separate SSIDs. What you see has been know to happen when both bands are using the same SSID. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
adamrh
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yep.  Splitting the bands into separate SSIDs actually didn't solve the problem but it does create a useful workaround - when the connectivity goes dead on one band, then usually switching to the other one restores connectivity.  Kind of annoying, and it only works on devices that are compatible with 5G as well as 2.5.

0 Kudos
adamrh
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Could my problems with the new SH3 router be due to the much-reported latency issues with VM's new Superhub 3 Router?  https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/quick-update-virgin-media-hub-3-router-latency-fix.htm...

0 Kudos