cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router connection issues

Andy97
Joining in

I have a consistent problem where my router fails to establish a connection. Restarting it sometimes works, sometimes it just improves with time, but I’ve been unable to book an engineer as the router does start working occasionally.

The Wi-Fi sent out by the router works but it doesn’t form a connection to the internet.

Any help much appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this
_______

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Andy97,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you've been having with your router. 

If you are able to answer the questions from jbrennand, this can help us to diagnose the issue. 

^Martin

Issue is evident on Wi-Fi and through Ethernet cables, but not the set-top box.

The router normally runs through the sequence of lights; Wi-Fi then down to the connection light where it pauses, sometimes flashes yellow, then doesn’t work. The light on the bottom glows yellow. A restart and/or turning the power on and off does work for a while, but usually within a week the problem returns. It’s a hub 3.0

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Andy97, thanks for the reply and for confirming these.

We're sorry to hear this issue with the WiFi and connection has been ongoing for you, could we just make sure you've checked all the cables connecting to your hub and wall sockets (coaxial etc) and they're all firmly attached on all ends?

From the checks performed on our end, there seems to be a short-term stability issue which should be resolved within 24 hours max, could you please monitor this and pop us a new message again tomorrow in case your service has not improved?

Please, do this and if the issue persists by tomorrow we will gladly assist further by sending a technician or similar.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

Again, a “short term stability problem” wouldn’t account for me having to restart the router every few days.

I would like either a technician to review the problem or a new router to replace the faulty one

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Andy97,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I'm really sorry to hear these issues are ongoing. A short-term stability issue can cause the Hub to be rebooted every so often as the network would slowly become unstable during that time. However, these issues shouldn't last longer than 24-48 hours.

As you've implied these issues are still ongoing, I'm going to send you a private message, so we can look into this further. Please look out for it in the purple envelope, in the top-right.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ