cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router causing buffering

MH59
Tuning in

Hi all,

I've been using a Superhub 4 for a few weeks now through a wired ethernet connection to my PC and PS4 and the connection and speed was great.  When using the wireless though, the speed and signal is poor so decided to invest in a router.

So I set it all up yesterday (Superhub 4 into modem mode) and am using a TP-Link Archer C80 AC1900 (DHCP mode).  

However the problem I have now is that I get frequent buffering on my PC when watching videos and buffering when watching stuff on my PS4 too.  As mentioned above, my PC is connected to my router via ethernet and so is my PS4.  This buffering never used to happen before so I am totally confused. 
Sometimes when searching for something on Google on my PC, the page will just "hang" as if it has lost the internet even though it is connected via ethernet to the router. 

Wireless signal and speed is great.

Looking forward to any help and advice.

Thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Did you connect it using the correct sequence? If not try this and see if it helps

Post back with outcome 🙂

Switch the Hub and router off and unplug all ethernet connections.

Switch your router on and make sure it’s in DHCP mode and fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John.

I gave this a go but unfortunately, it did not seem to make any difference.

I actually followed one of your earlier posts when I first set the router up yesterday but nevertheless, gave your above suggestion ago earlier today.

Do you have any other ideas?

Could the fact I am using quite an old Cat5 cable to connect my superhub 4 to my router be a potential issue?  The cable works fine though (I had connected from the superhub 4 to my PS4 before I made the changes yesterday). 

Thanks.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cable should be ok if you got those speeds mentioned previously, just to make sure you could try another cable, but it perhaps best to check out your connection. So go to 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) and post your up/downstream stats and network log. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Get some new cables
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1aTTack-Ethernet-Network-Double-Shielded/dp/B004WCQB9G/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&...

You say "Wireless signal and speed is great" do you get any buffering on phone?

Other then the TP-Link Archer at fault or you got a IP thats being DoS you can try a PC to the hub in modem mode without a router and see if you get buffering.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Tudor, thanks. Well I have ordered some new cables as per legacy1’s link so they should be here tomorrow.

In terms of a network log, I have a System Log which I have exported from the router.  Is this what you are after?

In terms of a up/downstream stats, I am a little lost on this one.  Please can you advise where I should be looking for this?

Thanks!

Hi legacy1.  Thanks!  I have ordered the cables as suggested and they will arrive tomorrow.

I will try modem only mode and connect direct to my PC and monitor if I experience the same issue.

When using the wifi with the router though, there is no buffering.

Thanks.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s the up and downstream stats, they can often show if there are any inherent problems with the circuit.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Corey_C

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums. MH59,

Sorry to hear that you have had some connection issues with your broadband. Has the new cables helped with your connection?

Cheers,

Corey C