Menu
cragh
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Router Help

Hi Everybody.

I've just had Virgin Media installed and sky taken out. My old system was the white square Sky router but had 3 powerlines around the house to improve the signal in all rooms. The sky router was in the box bedroom upstairs with the pc alongside a synology disc station, which I use to store photo and music, and will one day add cctv.

With the Virgin media the signal is fine around the house without the powerlines, but I now have a problem connecting my  Discstation to the network. 

The Virgin router is in the lounge downstairs whilst the Disctation has to remain upstairs, so without  wires i believe I'll need something wireless to connect to the discstation to the virgin router. 

What do I need please

I'd like to later on be able to view photos and cctv through the discstation via my moblile when away from home, but that's for a later date

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router Help

you could use powerlines to give you the wired connection from the disk station to the Hub using the home power wiring

0 Kudos
cragh
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.

dont know why I didn’t think of this. All up and running again

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@cragh wrote:

The Virgin router is in the lounge downstairs whilst the Disctation has to remain upstairs, so without  wires i believe I'll need something wireless to connect to the discstation to the virgin router. 

What do I need please

I'd like to later on be able to view photos and cctv through the discstation via my moblile when away from home, but that's for a later date

A wifi access point closer to the discstation or a mesh system will work best.  A good quality wifi router (with hub in modem mode) might well deliver a good strong signal upstairs too.  VM are also supposed to be selling "boosters" again but IMO you are better off sorting it yourself.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos