cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Configuration

LemonDrizzle
Joining in

So I am soon to move house, and I have booked a VM Internetet/Landline bundle the M350.

I have been on the phone this morning for 2 hours but not really managed to speak to anyone who I feel understands what I am asking.

The M350 bundle normally comes with a Hub3 but I have been told that I will likely receive a Hub4 given my postcode.

I have seen in other forums that the local IP address of the router can be changed under advanced settings and I will certainly want to do that. I have been involved in some development of devices and these have static IP addresses in the 192.168.1.XXX range.  With a gateway address of 192.168.1.254 . I have also been told that this particular subnet is the one subnet that cannot be used because it is reserved for guest login and that cannot be altered.   All in this paragraph applies to the Hub3 I was told. Is this information up to date and does it apply to hub4 as well? 

If not, then I have my solution I am supposing.

If not, then how do I do this? One option is activate modem mode and use another router like the BT internet device that I previously used, but it was patchy in the old house and the new one is bigger and then I am responsible for coverage issues whicgh I certainly expect in the new house.

One solution suggested was to select a subnet defined by the netmask 255.255.252.0 which would include the static IP's in my original subnet

I have also asked Virgin about upstairs install and they do not appear fazed by this. I feel that to reach the 2 outbuildings in the garden the router will need some height hence the upstairs installation.  There may be cables to the outbuildings, at the moment I am unaware exactly what there is.

Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @LemonDrizzle

Welcome to the community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us. 

The Hub 4 settings are the same as the Hub 3, you can find how to access the Hub 4 advanced settings here. However you won't be able to change your local IP address. Apologies about that, I appreciate this is frustrating. 

Should you wish to alter the local IP address, we'd advise using modem mode as you have previously. 

Could you expand on the upstairs install? Have you had issues with coverage there previously? Have you discussed the possibility of boosters with the team? If you're concerned about the coverage reach upstairs, boosters will help ensure the signal reaches where it needs to. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi,

Yes fast coming to conclusion that modem mode is the way forward.  However if I use modem mode I will need another router, and if I supply this then presumably VM will not help me with coverage issues. Otherwise what do I have to do to get VM to supply not only the hub4 but also another generalised router? One that is suitable.

If VM supply the router, then obviously coverage will be their issue not mine.

And yes I am sure there will be coverage issues as its a large property.

You'd probably be best investing in your own MESH system to be honest!

DECO M5 etc.

BT would guarantee whole home wifi for £10 extra per month (and all they do is supply you with three MESH disks) so that's £120 per year for something you could easily do yourself!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hello

I am afraid that Virginmedia will not supply anything else but their own hub, they do not supply generalized routers I am afraid that is down to you, and yes VM will only support the hub for coverage by an Ethernet connection due to the fact that wireless can be affected by a lot environmental interference. They do supply Wifi Pods which may be free depending on what package you have and at most will be £5 a month.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for coming back to us @LemonDrizzle

As so helpfully advised by @DJ_Shadow1966, we only supply the Hub itself. Should you decide to use the Hub 4 without any third party equipment, we'll be able to support any coverage issues you may experience. Should you find that you're struggling with the connection upstairs, we offer boosters, which are charged at an additional £5 a month, or free if you're a Gig 1 / Ultimate Oomph customer. You'll be able to order these via our Connect App

Please keep us updated on how the install goes, and if you run into any issues just pop another pop another post on this thread and we'll happily assist. 

Thanks 🙂 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

LemonDrizzle
Joining in

So what do Virgin media have to say about the viewpoint that providing the ability to set the routers internal ip address to anything except one particular ip, is clearly and obviously a bug which VM should be responsible for providing a workaround for. This is my point of view. I mean its a bit like saying my computer works unless the ip address is 42, that would not be acceptable.

Is it true that having 2 hub's would correct this issue, (using one in modem mode) with a cable between them.

Saying you provide the equipment needed yet not fixing this bug is not really acceptable.

@LemonDrizzle wrote:

So what do Virgin media have to say about the viewpoint that providing the ability to set the routers internal ip address to anything except one particular ip, is clearly and obviously a bug which VM should be responsible for providing a workaround for. This is my point of view. I mean its a bit like saying my computer works unless the ip address is 42, that would not be acceptable.

Is it true that having 2 hub's would correct this issue, (using one in modem mode) with a cable between them.

Saying you provide the equipment needed yet not fixing this bug is not really acceptable.

it may be a bug - it may be deliberate - its what it is and if a bug unlikely to be fixed as its carried from the 3 to the 4 - my view is its deliberate - the UI is dumbed down to the simplest possible to keep tech support simple - its hard enough for some CS agents to help now - can you imagine what it would be like if the hub had all the features of a 3rd party router

it may not be acceptable to you - others neither know nor care - there is a solution for the few it matters to all be it at your cost

you talk about 2 hubs - if you mean two VM hubs on the same line thats not possible - it may be you mean the VM hub and a 3rd party router - if so then thats fine

coverage is not VM's problem - you can also argue thats not acceptable but its what it is - we all solve it [if needed] in our own way

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I'm sure VM will remove port forwarding in router mode at some point and leave DMZ.

Router mode or VM doing NAT was a bad idea and the rabbit hole you can get into with features that are unsupported most of us get one IP on this planet it should not be down to the ISP to do more then that.

And home routers are cheap because of years needing them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

@LemonDrizzle wrote:

Hi,

Yes fast coming to conclusion that modem mode is the way forward.  However if I use modem mode I will need another router, and if I supply this then presumably VM will not help me with coverage issues. Otherwise what do I have to do to get VM to supply not only the hub4 but also another generalised router? One that is suitable.

If VM supply the router, then obviously coverage will be their issue not mine.

And yes I am sure there will be coverage issues as its a large property.

VM are not responsible for wifi coverage issues even with their own hub.  Your best bet is to use modem mode and buy a decent router.