cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Booster

Bendos70
Tuning in

Do Virgin offer a free router booster? Working from home in the furthest room from where my router sits and I need a good connection for work.

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You would be best advised to run ethernet cable from the Hub to the back room and put all connections onto that.   For wifi see this

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order the first one (cant do it online the website is borked) - or try the web-chat function (that has worked for some) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Bendos70, welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post.

We can certainly see if we can order you a booster, just to confirm have you been able to run a fault test via our service page here to see if this helps with the signal issue however?

Also If that does not help it would also be best to check our WIFI improvement page here. If after checking this you still feel like a booster would be best let us know and we will be happy to help get this arranged.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

I have tried all your suggestions and am still only getting half of the advertised speed.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you test speeds directly like this. If you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.