cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring doorbell stopped working after upgrade to business broadband

JetSetWilly1
Tuning in

Ok so I’m scratching my head here. I recently upgraded from personal broadband to business broadband with a static IP address. 

The only thing that’s changed is the router was replaced. The set up is that the router is in modem mode and goes through an asus router which broadcasts the wifi around the house.

I’ve tried resetting and reconnecting the Ring Doorbell but every time it fails.

Any thoughts on what might be the issue?

16 REPLIES 16

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Last time I checked static IP hubs couldn't be put in modem mode, has that changed?

Ok, so the engineer said he had ‘turned the wifi off’ so strictly speaking it’s probably not in modem mode but still wires into the asus router and the ring doorbell is connected to the asus wifi.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Might be something to do with that possibly, double NAT.

Ok, thank you. Any idea how to cure it - think I should log in an enable the wifi or possibly factory reset the virgin router?

put hub in modem mode
---------------------------------------------------------------

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would try connecting ring directly to the virgin hub and if it works then you know its a double NAT issue.

If that's the case you would need to configure your own router to be an access point rather than a router 

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@legacy1 wrote:
put hub in modem mode

How?

Thanks again. Only issue with that is everything else is working nicely and I also use the router as a VPN for outside traffic so it’s on the same IP.

I guess I could just connect the ring to the virgin router and leave it at that. What do you think?

It’s annoying as I had things working well and this feels like a step backwards.

not sure how it would affect the VPN but put the asus into access point mode if it can be - otherwise turn off DHCP and set its internal ip to something other than that of the hub

that way you can have wifi on the hub and the asus with different ssid's so should be able to point the doorbell to whichever you want and should wprk

again not sure of the VPN but i think it should be configurable in that setup

Tony.
Sacked VIP