cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring doorbell cant find wifi

Hezza86
Tuning in

We have a new hub 4 (which we've had nothing but problems with) 

We have just bought a new ring doorbell but can't set it up as it can't find the WiFi network. I have the exact same issue with my new kindle, it also can't find the WiFi network (I have to hotspot my phone ) but that isn't an option with the doorbell. 

I can see my neighbours WiFi so I know its not the doorbell that's the issue. We had this same issue with the set top boxes and amazon fire stick at the start of the year and took an engineer to come out and change our channels that we were on I think it was 

Is there anything we can do to sort this issue again!!

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try this procedure - it usually sorts this issue for Hub3's and should also do it for Hub4's that struggle to find the 2.4 Network

Go into the Hub’s settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types
Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Billybob2 & Billybob5) Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each device to connect to… individually from the "available networks" list on each of your devices. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for that.

Hubby isn't overly pleased at needed to then reset all devices to WiFi with a new password (there is a lot of them)

and I work from home and already had endless problems with our WiFi connection to my work laptop & the set top boxes (which we finally got sorted after an engineer visit discovered there is something blocking WiFi in our area and our WiFi was being impacted- we live near a naval base) so he moved where our WiFi signal sits to avoid the Blocking signal. 

I find it very annoying that we get WiFi installed yet still have new devices (my kindle is a new one) that can't find our networks. It doesn't make sense to me and annoys me. I'm not that tech savy and feel I shouldn't have to do all the above stuff just to connect a device when the WiFi should be visible. (Just my opinion) 

Hey @Hezza86, thanks for reaching out to us.

Sorry to hear about the Wi-Fi issues on your devices, and in this case the doorbell.
Can you confirm if the advice given by @jbrennand has worked?
Let us know.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, 

My husband spent several hours yesterday trying to sort it and followed the advice above but it didn't work. 

He has now ordered another router to add into the house to see if that helps as thanks to him trying to get it to work we now cant connect 2 firesticks as they both say the wifi is out of range (the router hasn't moved) they worked perfectly before. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What make/model of router has he ordered?

There is a sequence to follow when connecting to the Hub

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there Hezza86,

Thanks for your posts and for explaining the issue with your WiFi.
We're sorry to hear that your WiFi does not reach some of your devices, there however this may depend on various different factors that can affect the signal levels.

Since you mentioned you have followed all the advice provided and it still does not work it might just be a matter of range.
In these cases you may need one of our WiFi pods, please have a read here in regard to our intelligent WiFi Plus service and see if you can get those for free based on the package you subscribe to.

By adding the service, you can then get up to 3 pods to boost your WiFi signal so it reached all the devices used in the house.
In this case we can help you out with placing an order for the pod which can be then delivered with Yodel within 2-3 days time max.

Let us know if the above helps and happy to assist further should you wish to know more or order one of our intelligent pods.

Adri
Forum Team

Hi adri, 

Thanks but we have WiFi pods from virgin already and when the engineer last visited he told us they were not required in our house. 

It ef easnt a range issue as the doorbell was next to the router when we were searching, as was my kindle. 

anyway My husband has managed to set up our new router and everything is now working including the ring doorbell and my kindle (for the first time) 

It's just a shame that we had to go to the expense of buying another router to solve the issue of getting everything connected esp at a time when technology is advancing and we are all having more and more smart devices in our homes which rely on WiFi. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

The hubs have never advanced I'm sure we could do without router mode as a option to stop people thinking I want it that way.

(8) Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way (Official HD Video) - YouTube

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there @Hezza86, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the poor experience you've had recently.
We would like to apologise for everything that has happened and would like to invite you to a private chat.
Watch out for the purple envelope 🙂

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team