cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring Video Doorbell 2 not connecting to Hub 4

GillianSouthall
Tuning in

Hi there,

I've recently upgraded my package and received a Hub 4 to replace my Hub 3. 

I've managed to successfully connect the majority of my devices wirelessly to the Hub 4 but have had difficulties connecting a Smart TV (which I've had to connect using Ethernet for now) and have had no luck at all connecting my Ring Video Doorbell 2. I had no issues at all with either device connecting to my previous Hub 3.

When attempting to connect the Doorbell with the Hub 4, I can see the SSID for the Hub 4 in the Ring app and input the correct password, but then the Doorbell will show spinning blue lights before eventually showing two white lights at nine o'clock. At that point, I'm unable to go any further with the setup process in the app.

I've had an extensive read of this forum already and have tried the following to fix the issue, with no success:

1. Splitting out the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs on the Hub 4; Temporarily disabling the 5GHz frequency and trying to connect the Doorbell to the Hub 4 using 2.4GHz.
  2. Disabling 'Channel Optimization' and using manual channels for 2.4GHz (Channel 1, Channel 6, Channel 11).
  3. Creating a guest network with WPA1 & WPA2 security (instead of the default setting which is just WPA2).

I've managed to successfully connect the Doorbell to a separate Huawei 5G router (running on the 3 network) so I'm confident this is a problem with how the Doorbell and the Hub 4 are communicating with each other, rather than a problem with the Doorbell itself.

Any further advice / suggestions for things to try to fix the issue that do not involve putting the Hub 4 into modem mode and connecting it to a separate router would be gratefully received!

(p.s. I'd rather go back to the Hub 3 than have to fork out for a separate router, if there is no way I can get the Hub 4 to work with the Doorbell)

11 REPLIES 11

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you bring the doorbell close to the hub can it connect?

No - I'm experiencing the same issue regardless of how far the Doorbell is away from the Hub.

Time to dich router mode and change to modem mode on the hub and get your own router with 1Gb ports.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Do you remember the name of your old 2.4ghz and 5 ghz on the old hub3? If so rename the networks on the new hub for and all should work ok.

Worked for me when i went from hub3 to 4 and then to hub5.

@legacy1 not everyone can afford to just ditch the VM hubs.

@bitsandpcs wrote:

@legacy1 not everyone can afford to just ditch the VM hubs.

For a simple home router they are not that much. 

TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Full Gigabit Wi-Fi Router, Wi-Fi Speed Up to 867 Mbps/5 GHz + 300 ...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for this suggestion - unfortunately I’ve already connected the Doorbell to a different router to test that they’re aren’t any issues with the doorbell itself so I won’t be able to do this, but will definitely try it out if I get a different router in the future. 

I’m pretty sure you’ve made similar comments on all of the other posts I’ve found on this forum where other people have had connectivity issues with the Doorbell and Hub 4…

I explicitly said in my post I’m not interested in buying a separate router - VM are a billion dollar company and should be able to source adequate equipment without me having to pay extra money to buy a separate router 🙂

@GillianSouthall wrote:

I’m pretty sure you’ve made similar comments on all of the other posts I’ve found on this forum where other people have had connectivity issues with the Doorbell and Hub 4…

I explicitly said in my post I’m not interested in buying a separate router - VM are a billion dollar company and should be able to source adequate equipment without me having to pay extra money to buy a separate router 🙂

Do you still have the HUB 3?

If VM can't solve it tell them you are going to keep it, as well as the HUB 4:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Super-Hub-used-as-an-access-point/td-p/3074...

Not sure what subscription you are on, however Gig1 isn't supported by the HUB 3.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @GillianSouthall, thanks for reaching out to us, I'm sorry to hear about the issus you're having with the router and your doorbell.

May I ask if you've tried the advice given by @bitsandpcs ? I've had previous experiences where I've done all the steps as mentioned in the responses above and it has connected straight through.
Let us know how it goes.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs