cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning Superhub 2ac

gutbarger
Tuning in

I recently upgraded to a new broadband package and received a Superhub 3.

In the Superhub 3 box there was a pamphlet telling me that the old hub didn't need to be returned and should be recycled appropriately. A few days later I got a text telling me to return my old hub but there was no returns label in the Superhub 3 box.

What's everyone else done? It seems that Virgin aren't too sure of their own processes.

Ta.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

A long and dull story - the Superhub 2 is a technological antique, and for years VM told customers to recycle or dump them because they make inefficient use of available radio spectrum on the cable system.  Last year, with supply chain problems, they ran out of hubs, so some bright spark said "why don't we grab back Superhub 2ac's polish the dirt and nicotine off, and send them out to customers again?"  Management said "Great idea, Scrooge, but leave out the bit about polishing the stains off as that is too expensive".  So they started asking for customers to return the old junk, and some poor suckers got this six+ years old junk as a hub.

Fast forward a year, and its not clear whether the company still want these back - they've never been very forthcoming about the whole matter.  If you've got the box and the hub, then package it up and send it back, let them do what they want with it.  If you've recycled it that's their problem for including the advice to recycle it - but you may still get hit for a non-returned equipment charge of up to fifty quid.  If that happens, you raise a complaint using the online form in Virgin Media, demanding they rescind the charge, or provide a "deadlock letter" for you to take the complaint to independent adjudication.  If they cancel the charge, all well and good.  If they don't you use the deadlock letter to complaint to the industry complaints scheme CISAS, and you ask CISAS for the charge to be refunded, and for compensation for the stress of being hassled after you've followed the company's printed instructions.  

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

A long and dull story - the Superhub 2 is a technological antique, and for years VM told customers to recycle or dump them because they make inefficient use of available radio spectrum on the cable system.  Last year, with supply chain problems, they ran out of hubs, so some bright spark said "why don't we grab back Superhub 2ac's polish the dirt and nicotine off, and send them out to customers again?"  Management said "Great idea, Scrooge, but leave out the bit about polishing the stains off as that is too expensive".  So they started asking for customers to return the old junk, and some poor suckers got this six+ years old junk as a hub.

Fast forward a year, and its not clear whether the company still want these back - they've never been very forthcoming about the whole matter.  If you've got the box and the hub, then package it up and send it back, let them do what they want with it.  If you've recycled it that's their problem for including the advice to recycle it - but you may still get hit for a non-returned equipment charge of up to fifty quid.  If that happens, you raise a complaint using the online form in Virgin Media, demanding they rescind the charge, or provide a "deadlock letter" for you to take the complaint to independent adjudication.  If they cancel the charge, all well and good.  If they don't you use the deadlock letter to complaint to the industry complaints scheme CISAS, and you ask CISAS for the charge to be refunded, and for compensation for the stress of being hassled after you've followed the company's printed instructions.  

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi gutbarger,

Thank you for posting on the Community Forums. I'm sorry to hear we've caused some confusion as to whether you need to return your hub 2ac to us.

Just to clarify, no - you do not need to send this back. You may have received the communication in error asking for the equipment to be returned, however please be assured that you will not be charged.

Any equipment we require sending back to us is listed here

Kind regards

Beth