cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return of Upstream Issues

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Hello,

Around 6 months ago there was an area issue with capacity/congestion that was resolved under fault reference F008718191 - the thread for this is below:

Update on fault reference F008718191 - Virgin Media Community - 4651268

It seems that there is an issue again as I am regularly seeing packet loss on my connection and BQM, and my upstream channels keep dropping to 16 or 32 QAM - I also had a total loss of service on Friday night for around 15 minutes or so - and when the connectivity was restored the Upstream levels stayed on 16/32 QAM until I got bored checking them and went to bed.

Please can someone investigate why this is happening - another forum member, @Tazz also lives a street away from me is connected to the same Cabinet and is also experiencing the exact same issue - so this is not just localised to my home connection.

His thread on the previous matter is located here: Re: Gig1 Latency issues Bracknell in the evenings - Page 9 - Virgin Media Community - 4476643

Thanks,
Gary

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
50 REPLIES 50

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@Tazz wrote:

@Tazz wrote:
Hi Kath

I am sorry but you are not going to waste more of my time with engineer visits for this same issue. IT IS NOT LOCAL as we have proven time and time again.

I will just cancel and go back to BT until city fibre finish the dig in my area... Lost my patience with you guys now and your rubbish network.

Just wanted to say I kept my word and today I left Virgin media for City Fibre FTTH. Huge difference in network quality 4ms ping to BBC 930 Mbps up and down on speed tests. Hopefully more will go this way when they can to show VM they cant mess customers around. VM may be fast but my god is the latency, reliability, packet loss and uploads shocking...

I'll be following suit end of Feb once the infra is live down my street 🙂

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Well it's been a fun ride, but onto pastures new..

900Mbps up and down for £40 per month - can't argue with those results....

gary_dexter_1-1651224685961.png

gary_dexter_0-1651224775203.png

Having issues with ours too Gary, thanks for your help in the past.

Unfortunately I am stuck with VM just now until BT get to our area, so I think will be floowing suit.

Currently only getting 60MB on a supposed 1Gig line, engineer confirmed a cabinet issue in the area with no expected fix date

Infuriating 

@SAkers1975 wrote:

Having issues with ours too Gary, thanks for your help in the past.

Unfortunately I am stuck with VM just now until BT get to our area, so I think will be floowing suit.

Currently only getting 60MB on a supposed 1Gig line, engineer confirmed a cabinet issue in the area with no expected fix date

Infuriating 

CityFibre just finished installing in my area so I went with Giganet using CityFibre's infrastructure. It's night and day. No lag, no dropouts, no BQM spikes...

Well, cheerio Gary!  We've had our differences, but hope things remain peachy with Giganet. 

I suspect that VM will lose many customers over the next five years, and the main reasons for that will be because they haven't been fast enough (or chose not) to go full fibre to pre-empt the threat of altnets and FTTP, and because customer service and operational performance of the existing DOCSIS infrastructure are simply not good enough.  

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

that looks good Gary - how long did it take them from laying the ducts to going live - we have the ducts and purple pipes strapped to the BT poles but no more 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

@Andrew-G wrote:

Well, cheerio Gary!  We've had our differences, but hope things remain peachy with Giganet. 

I suspect that VM will lose many customers over the next five years, and the main reasons for that will be because they haven't been fast enough (or chose not) to go full fibre to pre-empt the threat of altnets and FTTP, and because customer service and operational performance of the existing DOCSIS infrastructure are simply not good enough.  

I'll still pop my head in here every now and then, don't you worry!

@-tony- wrote:

that looks good Gary - how long did it take them from laying the ducts to going live - we have the ducts and purple pipes strapped to the BT poles but no more 

Hey Tony,

They finished all the ducting and cabling etc. end of Feb. ish, and they confirmed completion and live around mid-March.

I placed my order with Giganet on March 14th and the earliest install date they gave me was April 22nd (so around 6 weeks from order).

@gary_dexter wrote:

@-tony- wrote:

Hey Tony,

They finished all the ducting and cabling etc. end of Feb. ish, and they confirmed completion and live around mid-March.

I placed my order with Giganet on March 14th and the earliest install date they gave me was April 22nd (so around 6 weeks from order).

that sounds pretty quick Gary - ducts have been in place in the are for a couple of months i guess and there seems to be not much more happening - sure thats not true but nothing to be seen - am in no panic but certainly will be seeing what they can offer

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Is it City Fibre?

You should be able to put your postcode on their website and it should tell you what stage they're at with the rollout.