cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request WiFi Booster

nadimc345
Tuning in

The wireless service is really poor (3-4Mbps down and <1Mbps up) and often goes completely off in a couple of rooms in the flat. The VirginMediaConnect test confirmed it was poor, and tried optimising the router, but to no avail. How can I get WiFi boosters?

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

See this
_________

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order the first one (cant do it online the website is borked) - or try the web-chat function (that has worked for some) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

the issue is specific to the kitchen area and one of the bedrooms. I’m getting the full allocated speed (200Mbps/20Mbps) everywhere else. No issues with the hub While connected either via wifi or Ethernet. 

As for the wifi pods, the salesperson I spoke with during registration mentioned I was entitled to them in case of weak signals in parts of the flat. 

I tried calling their support lines, but all I get is an automated system proposing to diagnose and reboot the hub to optimize, but that didn’t help either. 

i hope a moderator gets in touch soon

Thanks again!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As I said... they are available to any VM customer free to some (not you?) if you are prepared to fork out £5/month forever.

I wouldnt be - I sorted it myself

A VM staff member will be here in a day or so and offer to supply the first pod for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi nadimc345

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of the WiFi issues - from a system check, you've already placed this order 🙂

When you receive the Pod, please follow this set up process - https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/intelligent-wifi - let us know how you get on 

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John,

Thanks for the response. After several failed attempts trying to get a hold of someone over the phone, I was eventually able to get a hold of the team via live chat. Indeed, the issue is now resolved.

Thanks again!

Nadim

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved for you. WiFi Pods will certainly be able to improve any coverage issues and blackspots!

Let us know if you need help with anything else. 

All the best!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs