cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement for Hub3?

Riffraffs
Tuning in

Yet again the Hub3 is dying.
it will randomly reboot, often this factory resets the device, so I have to set up the wifi & passwords again. but worse is the fact the time from it turning off until I can log in is 19 mins!!!
that is unacceptable, if I upload the config it has to reboot to take effect making it 40 mins before I can reconnect with wifi.
the hub 3 is obviously not up to the job, so I am looking for a replacement, what can I use to connect from the Coax to my switch? 
The Wifi, DNS & DHCP is all been offloaded to other systems, but the hardware still can't keep the connection alive.
this is the second Hub 3 to take 20 mins to boot, this one is 2 months old.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

VM will not sell you a hub it does not work like that - you cannot use any other modem other than what VM supply - so you need to bang the drum and push for a hub4 if you believe the problem is the hub3 and getting another will take you down this path again sooner or later

whether a hub4 will solve things or repeat what you have now is up for debate or at least time to prove it either way

i can see 2 other options if VM will not upgrade you to a hub4

1 - upgrade to 1gig if your area supports it - that will give you a hub4 as 1gig needs it - you have 14 days to decide if to keep the 1gig - if you decide not to you can revert and i guess they will leave you with the hub4!!!!!!!!!!!!

2- look at VM business thats a completely different hub - a Hitron ? - i know nothing about it other than it comes with 5 static ip addresses - the other thing i know is that business does not have a TV package 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

45 REPLIES 45

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The only other option is a Hub4 - but if you have had 2 Hub3's and they are the same - then a Hub4 will not help at all - the issues lay elsewhere.

You can put it into modem mode and use your own router and wireless equipment if you choose to do so - I did that 20 years ago.

But you may have some other issue on the connection - have VM tested that for you?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

They tested the connection, it's fine, once the hub comes up its good speed, no packet loss, etc. 
I offloaded the DHCP, dns etc & used Modem mode on the last one but it still randomly rebooted.
the new one factory resets when it reboots. & I get a blue wallpapered login screen then it reboots and I get the Red Virgin one, but all settings are default.
I've been told the reboot time should be under 2 mins rather than 19-20. 
The power supply is connected to a 4 port surge protector, only 2 ports are used. the other device connected shows no power interruption.
it's only got 3 out of the 4 ports used. 1 goes to the VM server, one to the HP Switch & the 3rd had my laptop with a static IP so I could ping test & log in.
the last hub slowly died to that point over 3-4 years.
this is purely a hardware issue, not performance.
I have asked to BUY a hub 4, was told ONLY the engineer can order them, the engineer said only Tech support could.
So I'll buy anything that I can use, obviously I'd prefer a named brand (HPE, Cisco Draytek etc) but willing to accept any option.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If the connection is all fine (as VM see it) All you can do is report it as a faulty Hub (making sure its faulty at the time you call in) and they will arrange a new one or Tech visit.

You cannot buy anything from VM for this - only your own wireless router.

What have you actually got connected to the Hub ? By VM server - do you mean the coax connection to the VM network? If not what ethernet devices are connected? Have you tried removing everything except for the VM Hub? There have been lots of reports on here where a "switch" (for example) has gone dodgy and caused all sorts of connection problems.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Coax into Hub has 3 Cat6 connections.
1 HP server running ESXi -
VM's - A. Windows 2019 Server (AD, DHCP, DNS)
B. PFSence Firewall
C. Ubuntu server - Owncloud
D. Ubuntu server - Webhost.
E. Loadballancer (for port redirects)
F. Windows 10 VM
2. HP 24Port gigiabit Swtich
3 Dell Laptop.
the switch connects to Virgin Media V6 Box, Ubiquity Wifi AP's, Fileserver, Nividia Sheild (x2), Apple TV (gen 4) & work Laptop. (all by Cat6)
Ubiquity controls the Wifi for the Mobile I build for work (20ish a day) Personal Phone (x2) Sonos (x2) & CCTV.

I work from home doing MDM work for the company, a few webex calls, Jabber voip etc.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK - you are in another world from me - I am all Apple gear 🙂

There are lots on here who are expert on the systems you are using that should comment in due course. However I am pretty certain the issuewill turn out to be in those somewhere and not the Hub.

I will see if any of the other VIP's on here can come here and comment

As an example (as you have a Del laptop) look through this recent thread on newer Dell products and their "Killer Wifi" issues causing similar issues with the Hubs

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-0-and-Killer-WiFi-issues/td-p/4736955

--------------------
John
--------------------

Yep My dell Laptop does have a Killer PCIe Ethernet Controller, not wifi (well it does but not connected to a wifi controlled or connected to the hub directly, I connect to the ubiquity APs, that pass it to the windows server, then to the hub) 
that explains the reboots, but not the 20 min startup time for the hub.
I had the wifi disabled on the hub & my Dell was connected by cat6 using the Killer PCIe Ethernet Controller network controller.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I have asked the PC/Networking VIP experts on here to take a look on here.

They will be along soon.....

The VM staff usually pick up these threads (when we are done) in a couple of days and can comment from their perspective.

--------------------
John
--------------------

@jbrennand wrote:
The VM staff usually pick up these threads (when we are done) in a couple of days and can comment from their perspective.

That doesn't fill me with any joy, spend 4hrs on the phone to them as the phone password was spelt wrong, 3 operators refused to give any tech support.
engineer coming out tomorrow to "repair" the hub.
got told to change it on the website... but the phone password is not the same as the website one........hmm.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

most of what you have connected is way beyond me but i am puzzled when you say you have offloaded the DHCP from the hub - maybe i have that wrong - with the hub in router mode it is controlling DHCP - whatever you have down the line is in effect double nat and that can give problems

i say again its way beyond me but thats just seems wrong - happy to have it explained

from there i think you take a few steps back you have changed a hub3 that was in your words dying - doing so has not resolved your problems - changing to a hub4 will only help if the hub3 is in fact faulty - 2 with the same problem/fault begs the question is the fault elsewhere 

you are correct the hub should reboot quicker than you are seeing - how long does it take to boot if you disconnect everything and reboot it - to me you should start from that point and then add one piece of you tech at a time and see what if anything changes

tech support will not help you with your problem - i am surprised they have not sent you to Gadget rescue to sort it - not that they would but they would take your money

with regards to modems/hubs you are stuck with what VM supply which is the hub3 - to get the hub4 yout need to be on 1gig although they do issue them fot a few other reasons - the tech may give you one but theres nothing in what you have said that a hub4 will improve

but you can put the hub into modem mode and dump the poor router side and add your own router as you know

Tony.
Sacked VIP