Menu
Highlighted
stumccly
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Replace Virgin Media super hub 3

Hi all,

Can anybody help please, I would like to replace this superhub 3 completely with a new router for instance one of the new Asus ones highlighted on these forums, is this possible or do you just connect to superhub 3 as it has a coax cable input for the virgin tv box. If you can change completely to a new Asus router could someone explain how this is done please. many thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Replace Virgin Media super hub 3

You have to use the hub supplied by Virgin, no other cable modem will work.

All you can do is put the hub in modem mode and connect your own router to it via Ethernet cable.

Dave

Dave

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
0 Kudos
stumccly
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

I need to solve the problem of wifi coverage in the house as only half of it is covered by the vm superhub in its location which is right next to the tv as it connects via a coax cable to the vm tv box.

just to clarify if that setup remains exactly as it is and I connect an ethernet cable , I can re route the cable to any part of the house and connect a new Asus router, this will give me better wifi coverage and more ports to connect other devices ? is this correct ? thanks again

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes. The other option would be powerline adaptors.

Dave.

Dave

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
stumccly
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

thanks again Dave, do you have any experience with routers such as ASUS RT-AC3200 Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Router with USB 3.0 and 3G/4G Dongle Support - Black, which has been recommended on other threads in this forum ?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's not something I've looked in to as I'm one of the lucky ones that can get decent wireless with the standard kit.

Dave.

Dave

0 Kudos
ianjayne
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Had the same problem, weak signal, Powerline (2 off) solved it.

HiVMBye wrote:

Yes. The other option would be powerline adaptors

Dave.

0 Kudos
PBou
Dialled in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

No to powerline adapters, you are taking a high bandwidth service form Virgin and reducing it massively if using power line adaptors. 

0 Kudos
Owdman
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I agree, I have powerline adapters and the reception around the house is still awful. The Hub 3 is a dreadful piece of kit. The Hub has told me to move the router 'nearer' to both Tivo boxes, which are at opposite ends of the house, which is timber-framed, so no stone walls inside to block signals either Smiley Sad

Just looking at routers now. 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If you are only going to use WiFi it’s best to buy a Wireless Access Point, you don’t really need another router. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos