cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated loss of service due to faulty street cabinet

jones55
Tuning in

Since April 2021 there have been at least eight outages due to a faulty Virgin street cabinet on my road. The door of the cabinet is not properly attached - this leaves the equipment inside prone to vandalism and water ingress. Each time the engineer comes to fix the outage the cabinet door is either taped up with gaffer tape or tied up with a piece of string.

I have reported the damaged cabinet door directly to Virgin on at least seven occasions to Virgin: on no occasion has anyone actually attended to fix the broken door. These regular service outages affect a significant number of Virgin subscribers in the street that I live. On the street WhatsApp group one can see that a number of people have changed providers and many of those who remain under contract will not be renewing once they come to the end of their agreement.

The latest outage occurred yesterday afternoon and the current estimated time that service will be restored is July 20 at 10 a.m.

I imagine the cabinet door will be taped up again and we will suffer yet another outage in due course.

In the six years prior to the cabinet door becoming faulty we experienced only one loss of service; in the 13 months since the cabinet has been damaged we have experienced at least eight outages. Why are Virgin Media unable to fix the faulty cabinet?

The cabinet ID is D065L on Birnam Road N4 3LJ

22 REPLIES 22

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jones55,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm sorry to hear of the ongoing issues in your area with the damaged cabinet, I will get this raised with the appropriate team but, please can you post a picture of the damaged cabinet, so that I can get this raised as escalated issue with the maintenance team?

Have your services been restored yet?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply. The latest text update was that services would be restored by 6 pm today (the initial estimate was 10am, then 2 pm).

Here is a picture of the damaged cabinet:

cabinet.jpg

Service restored at around 10 am on Wednesday so that was a 36-hour loss of service.

As I expected, the cabinet has not been properly repaired - there's just some gaffer tape holding it together (see below picture).

IMG_0949.jpg

When can Virgin media customers affected expect a proper repair to this cabinet?

Sorry, there was an error in my last post: service was restored at around 10 am on Thursday 21 July, not Wednesday 20 July.

A month on and nothing has been done to repair the cabinet.

Numerous people have reported the cabinet as fault in the last month. It has been almost 18 months since contact was made with Virgin Media asking them to repair the cabinet.

Any chance that this cabinet can be fixed before yet another outage?

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jones55, thanks for your post and I'm sorry to hear that this is still a problem.

Please allow me to send you a PM to get some more details from you, so I can chase this up with the team responsible for this.

Please expect this PM to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!

Many thanks

Tom_W

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Thomas, thanks very much for sending your details over via PM so I can investigate this further.

I've sent this over to the relevant team to investigate, so please be assured we'll get this sorted as soon as we can.

Please allow us some time to get this fixed and thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Thanks Tom,

Fingers crossed for a fix.

Best wishes

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jones55,

Keep us updated on this and let us know if you need any further help or assistance.

We're here to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs