cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeat outages in BR5

Gone2Kent
Dialled in

On 15th July 2021, my broadband connection suddenly disappeared. Phone 150, you are improving the service in my area and there service is expected back by 15:00.

I won't be the only person working from home dependent on a broadband connection, but I am.

You've done the same this morning 30th July 2021, same announcement. Service status says it's a fault and an engineer has been assigned.

Could you be a bit more professional please if it is planned maintenance and tell your customers about outages beforehand. Then alternative arrangements can be made if possible.

I seem to have been asking for the same thing in November 2017

If it's not planned, can you change the message responding to 150 that implies it's necessary to improve services. Unplanned outages aren't for anyone's benefit.

4 REPLIES 4

Uralowl1
On our wavelength

Exact same issue here, also in the BR5 area. Internet was down on the 15th July for about 6 hours for me also, the automated fault line said they're "improving our network"

Same thing today, internet has been down since 9am, exact same message on their line, saying everything should be back to normal by 3pm (certainly hope so, that's only 20 minutes from now).

No warnings what so ever for either of these "maintenances". I work from home currently and this has unexpectedly disrupted it twice now in just 2 weeks. It'd be nice to have some kind of forewarning of this instead of them just randomly deciding to carry out maintenance for most of the working day.

This thankfully hasn't really been an issue previously (it's happened perhaps a handful of times in the past 5 or so years, never any forewarning), so I'm not sure why they need to carry out maintenance twice in the same month. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Maintenance is not always planned in advance.  Often it's responding to faults or cable damage.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Uralowl1
On our wavelength

Internet still isn't back up, the automated line now just says everything will be back to normal "as soon as possible".

I appreciate maintenance isn't always planned, but this is twice in the same month with the same time frame (9am to 3pm, though it's now exceeding that today). There's no faults reported on the status website, and the fault line describes it as "right now we're currently improving our network", which seems to imply they're just "improving" the network or carrying out maintenance. I know it's full well just a generic response, but since that's all I have to go on, that's all I can assume. 

I've had the internet go down abruptly  for 2 full days and a bit once 3 years ago now due to a damaged cable in the area, longest the internet has ever been down. Back then, it was clearly noted as being a fault by website, fault line and customer service. They really need to do a better job with communicating these things sometimes. 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Gone2Kent, thanks for your post - sorry for the delayed response.

I'm also sorry about the issues you and Uralowl1 have experienced recently. I wasn't able to look further into this for you from the forum information on this occasion, if you still need help just get back to me via PM and we'll do all we can to help.

Tom