cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming Connected Devices Hub 4

TMcGRed
Tuning in

Just received a new Hub 4, was looking forward to getting it set up as I have patchy wifi in my bedroom from the Hub 3.

Set up was straight forward, renamed the SSID & password to be the same as the old Hub 3 so all my devices would automatically connect.  So far, so good.....

Then I tried renaming my connected devices - as I wasn't able to import the Hub 3 config file 😞 

My advice - don't bother renaming as it doesn't work!!!!!   My phone appeared 'Samsung S9' tried renaming it and it updated another device's name instead!!  I've got 15 devices that I'd like to rename, bit it's impossible.  God knows what it's doing - but this needs fixing....Virgin!!!!! 

12 REPLIES 12

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TMcGRed wrote:

Just received a new Hub 4,   <snip>   as I wasn't able to import the Hub 3 config file 😞   <snip> 

That would be correct.  It's completely different hardware and firmware.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Why do you need to name the devices?

Also getting a Hub4 thinking it would be better than a Hub3 is just crazy talk!!

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

You rename your devices so you know exactly what's connected to your network.

Most wifi connected devices have non-descript names that have no relation to the device.

Re naming makes it straight forward to ID what the device is & makes it easy to spot any new / dodgy connections. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
or just don't give your wifi password to anyone and you know whats connected

Use MAC filtering.

Set a strong 16 character minimum password.

Don’t share your password.

etc. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Never heard of hackers? 

I don't give out the wifi password to random strangers.

Numpty! 

Hackers huh?

Oh dear. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've met more paranoid people then hackers 🙂

I can recommend some cyber security consultants if you are really worried 🙂

My God!! 

Ask a simple question / report an issue... and what do you get?!!

Bloody know-it-all trolls.

Jeez, if you read my original post, I just want to rename my devices on the router.

Hub 3 worked fine with this, Hub 4 doesn't.

I've worked in IT for 20+ years so know what I'm doing thanks 😏

Over & out.