cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of Outside Box

James_Dunn
Tuning in

Dear Virgin Media, 

We have just moved into our new home and the previous owner had your service installed (we do not sorry). We are quite concerned that the Virgin Media Wi-Fi service keeps showing up on our devices. We are quite concerned about this, can you please advise - after all the service should be terminated?

If the service has ended, then why is it showing up for us on all of our devices? Surely, this is not right...? I really would like some help here. 

Regards, 

James_Dunn

12 REPLIES 12

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
The box won't be removed, nor the cabling, as it's classed as a facility.

If there's no hub connected internally then there's no way a network can broadcast - it must be a neighbours wifi or public hotspot you can see.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thank you for your reply. 

We do not live near any hotspots, - as none listed online. Also, we have only 2 neighbours and neither of them use Virgin. Ergo, it must be coming from us....it has to be disconnected at the box. 

More analysis would be helpful. 

Regards, 

James

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Gary is correct.... if there is no VM Hub connected to the external wall box.  But is there one still there by any chance?   Any other VM devices plugged into mains sockets - e.g. old Boosters?

If the house is totally VM "equipment free" then any VM SSID's have to coming from somewhere else - VM Hot-spots perhaps - what are they "called"

No need to have the external box removed unless its absolutely necessary (e.g. for building work) - just leave it as is to service you or another occupant in the future

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Okay - I will check the house, thank you BOTH for your expertise advice and time. 

What would happen if I were to snip the Virgin cable(s) coming into the house? Any ideas.....

Unless there’s a hub inside the property broadcasting the signal it’s not possible. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What would happen if I were to snip the Virgin cable(s) coming into the house?”
Could possibly affect everyone connected to that street box.

What for,at is the SSID that you can see? Is it VM123456 or “Virgin Media”?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Can you switch off your electric at the breaker?

If the broadcasting SSID disappears then comes back again when you turn the power back on then it will be something in the property. 

@James_Dunn wrote:

Okay - I will check the house, thank you BOTH for your expertise advice and time. 

What would happen if I were to snip the Virgin cable(s) coming into the house? Any ideas.....

Absolutely nothing will happen at all, but, as advised above, the cables coming in plus the box on the outside wall, do nothing other than provide the option to use VM’s services. In themselves, they absolutely do not broadcast anything or do anything at all unless there is a VM modem connected to them.

So have a good look around and see if the previous occupants have left anything plugged in, not that it will be connected to the internet but it might still be broadcasting a signal which you pick up.

Hi Tudor, 

Yes, I can see VM123456....for instance. This simply can't be right can it....?

P.S. Thank you very much for your time.