cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocate router

sallan2022
Joining in

Hi I have poor signal in nearly every room in my home and I am wondering if my router can be moved by virgin media.  Cheers

Steven

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
VM will relocate the Hub anywhere - for £25. Whether it will help the wifi is a different question.

See this

If it is a wifi only issue (is it - are ethernet connections ok?), then on a Hub3/4/5, you should first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one (cant do it online the website is borked) - or try the web-chat or Whatsapp functions (that has worked for some) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~6->20 months of Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey @sallan2022, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums page.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the Wi-Fi that you're experiencing. As @jbrennand has mentioned, to relocate the VM hub would have a call out charge of £25.
May I ask if you've been able to hard reset the VM hub and take out all the cables and reconnect them?
Let us know and we can go on from there 🙂

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

smithcam
Joining in

How do you arrange for the router to be relocated by virgin? Can this be arranged online?

Hey smithcam, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community.

I can look at getting this organise for you, however there is a one off charge of £25 for this if that okay?

I will also send you a PM, please look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?