cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light

Mrsjbasford
Tuning in

Hi,

my WiFi hub has a solid red light showing all the time. What does this mean and how can I fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Modem mode is where the hub doesn't act as a router, and you connect your own router to the hub.  You'd know if you've set it to modem mode.

Next stop, try a pinhole reset (you'll need the settings password on the base of the hub, don't confuse it with the wifi password also on the base).

If the LED's still red after that, the forum staff will need to book you a technician visit to check it out and most likely replace it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

What model of hub, and are you using it in modem mode?

It’s a hub 3, not sure about modem mode, what does that mean?

Modem mode is where the hub doesn't act as a router, and you connect your own router to the hub.  You'd know if you've set it to modem mode.

Next stop, try a pinhole reset (you'll need the settings password on the base of the hub, don't confuse it with the wifi password also on the base).

If the LED's still red after that, the forum staff will need to book you a technician visit to check it out and most likely replace it.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Mrsjbasford, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

The advice that @Andrew-G has given is spot on 🙂 - can you let me know if you did the pin hole reset, and what was the results? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Hi,

will give that a try when I get home from work.

pleasd can you let me know exactly what I need to do?

Thanks

Jo

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-your-hub

When it comes back on line, if you need to go into the hub's settings don't mix up the default wifi and settings passwords - both are on the bottom of the hub. 

Hi,

Tried that, light is still red. Anything else I can try?

thanks

jo

Hi Mrsjbasford, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the hub and looks like you have tried what has been suggested. I will send you a private message so that this can be looked at in more detail. Please look out for the purple envelope. - Chris

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you very much for joining me on private message Mrsjbasford

The engineer has been booked for you by my colleague on another private message conversation. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, please do not hesitate to contact them again for further updates or investigations. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley