cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light router

JRA2012
Joining in

The power light on my hub 3 has turned red. Initially it stopped all internet service, however after a reboot the internet seems to be working again.

The light stays red after reboots and unplugging-re plugging in cables, and Wi-Fi can sometimes drop for 30-60 mins intermittently.

The hub is in an open area and has shown no signs of overheating. The hub is in router mode.

Based on previous threads about this issue, a replacement is needed. I’ve had no luck phoning in, automated conversation just kicks me out after finding no issues with my broadband.

6 REPLIES 6

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @JRA2012 thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the issue with the red light on the Virgin Media hub.
Are you able to confirm for me if the hub is in an open spot away from any direct light?
Have you taken out all the cables and put them back in and then rebooted the VM hub?
Let us know and we can assist further.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

• Hi yes the router is a well-ventilated area, away from sun, we have done several reboots over the last 3 months, disconnected cables etc, no change.

Hi JRA2012, thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry to hear that your red light issue is still ongoing.  Can you confirm that you've already tried a pinhole reset of you hub?  It essentially takes your hub back to factory settings, but clears many issues.  You can find how to do this, here.  Please only attempt this, if you can still access the default WiFi password, on your hub.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi we have completed a pin reset.

Hi JRA2012, thanks for getting back to us.

As your response, would suggest, that the pinhole reset of your hub, has not fixed the red light issue, I am going to send you a private message.  This is so I can take a closer look on your behalf.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @JRA2012, thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 
I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.
Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:
The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.
Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment, so it is important to reschedule if needed. 
Do please let us know how the appointment goes.

Regards

Lee