cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light on wifi box for 12 months

markjdarwin
Joining in

I have a red light on my wifi box (hub 3.0), I only recieve intermitent service outside of the living room, even the kitchen which is next to the living room doesn't recieve full internet service.  I have checked all the conections as advised and followed the on line process of reebooting the system. The router is not hot and is well aired. What do I need to do next?

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you post up a photo of the light.

I assume the Hub is in normal router mode and not in modem mode when the light is meant to be magenta - which can look red to some people's eyes.

Its unlikely that the red light is causing the connection issues you are having -  but VM will want to change the Hub as it may have a defective overheating detection system.

If they do... see if that solves the issues - if not come back for some advice on improving connectivity.

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

thank you for your reply John,

The tv connected to the ethernet is working fine as expected. Its just the WiFi seems to be the issue.

I have tried to upload the picture of the light unfortunately this forum isn't accepting it.

How do I get to actually speak to VM, I'm being passed around again at the moment the latest advice is to w8 until tomorrow, to see if it corrects itself. 

Mark

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello markjdarwin

Sorry to hear of both the Hub and connection issues experienced, we appreciate you raising this via the forums and welcome to the community.

From checking the equipment and connection everything appears to be within the ranges and spec's we'd expect to see, there are also no know area issues that may explain the issues. After rebooting, does the red light show again?

let us know as we may need to get a technician out to you to take a look.

Rob

Hi Rob 

The red ight has been on constantly for 12 months.

The post code check via the website stated there was a minor issue in the area on a number of occasions.

Every time I reeboot which is roughly once a week, I have green WiFi light,  green arrows and red light from then on. I have been on the website many times following the reeboot process. I still have a red light continuously. The light on the virgin media TV box is always white.

I have had a regular response that VM will help sort an engineer visit if the problem persists. I'm still waiting for the assistance

Many thanks

Mark

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply markjdarwin.

With this being the case, I would like to take a few details and look in to this further. 

I will pop you over a private message to the purple envelope on the top right of this page now. 

Speak soon, 

Nat