cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light on hub

M24
Joining in

I have had a continual Red light on my hub which does not change even after resetting it, which I’ve done on numerous occasions.  It’s got plenty of space around it. The speed is affected which is a pain.  How can I contact virgin to get a replacement I just cannot get through on the phone, is there a chat or email address. 

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it’s a Hub3 then it will need replacing for the red LED problem. The other problem will need looking at when the hub is replaced.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Tudor wrote:

If it’s a Hub3 then it will need replacing for the red LED problem. The other problem will need looking at when the hub is replaced.

You say that, and I'd agree as VM's own web site says overheating for red light on HUB3.

When my other half had such HUB3, one of the forum staff (ADRI_G) refused replacement saying red light was normal in modem mode (when it was always purple). I asked why their own web site says red was overheating and that why would they use RED for modem mode as there would no longer be any colour to indicate overheating condition when in modem mode if they were correct. Of course, no answers came back but the script was followed about it being safe and refusal to replace.

No resetting would stop it. In the end they got a HUB5 via some web link so the fire risk was removed.

Hi unisoft,

Thank you for reaching out to us, although a Red light can be an indication of overheating it is indeed true that the light will be red when in Modem Mode, if unsure we advise putting the Router back in Router Mode and if the light is still Red then we would need to run further checks.

Regards

Paul.

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi M24,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to see your Router has a constant Red light, so I can help I will send you an invite into a private chat, once received click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

@Paul_DN wrote:

Hi unisoft,

Thank you for reaching out to us, although a Red light can be an indication of overheating it is indeed true that the light will be red when in Modem Mode, if unsure we advise putting the Router back in Router Mode and if the light is still Red then we would need to run further checks.

Regards

Paul.

It was always purple/magenta for modem mode when I had a HUB 3. If you are saying it's red (in contradiction of VM's own web site page in HELP) then how would anyone in modem mode ever know they have an overheating device then as red would be normal colour? What you would be saying is, there is no visual safety warning colour for overheating when using modem mode on a HUB3 then?

A customer couldn't keep putting into router mode every day to see if the colour goes to red to ensure their device hasn't got such an issue 😉

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi M24,

Thanks for coming back to me via private message to confirm your information. 
I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to your Online Account, once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. 
Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:
The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment
The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.
Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment, so it is important to reschedule if needed. 
Let us know how the appointment goes.
Regards
Paul. 

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi M24,

You are very welcome, if you need any further help, please do not hesitate to reach back out, please let us know how the visit goes.

Regards

Paul.